Infection tastes like CHOCOLATE MINT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hey,

so I made a batch of Vienna Lager, which I forgot about and left in secondary for 6 months...

It is infected. There is a layer of white stuff on the top which looks like mycellium, it's kind of flaky when the beer is disturbed. A couple of weeks ago I took a sample of the beer to see if it still tasted good, and was completely shocked by a hardcore chocolate mint flavor....

Okay so it doesn't taste bad...I should still bottle this and drink it I believe?

Admittedly, I wouldn't opt for a chocolate tasting beer to be amber in color, as is the Vienna Lager. I'm just wondering if it would be a good idea to make a starter from this beer, intended for use with a dark chocolate lager??....

The yeast that I pitched for this Vienna Lager is Wyeast's #2001 Urquell Lager

If you used Perle hops, the mint might be from them.
There's no telling what the next beer with the infected yeast(?) would taste like. Drink or dump, but IMO I wouldn't propagate.

Do a mini tester batch and see if you can replicate. If yes then I see no problem making chocolate mint beer with mycellium(sp?)

if it's been infected for months, but doesn't taste like the back end of a senile bull mastiff, I'd let it ride another 6-18 months and see where it ends up. Should be interesting.

Back