DME weight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch last night and using the calculator on TastyBrews it said I should use 6.5oz of DME for a 5gallon batch at 68deg.

Well after weighing out 6.5oz of DME on my scale it seemed to be quite abit more than the 5oz of Corn sugar I had prepackaged with my kit. Is that normal?

I just want to make sure that I don't have some 22oz bottle bombs!

Also the 6.5oz should get me to 2.3 Vol @ 68deg for a Robust Porter which is 1.8-2.5Vols.

Was my thinking correct in this or am I way off base?

I can't remember the exact numbers but dextrose is almost 100% fermentable and DME is quite a bit less which is why you need more to achieve the same results. Someone can probably post the actual numbers, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Corn sugar is also noticeably more dense than DME and so a given mass of corn sugar will take up less space than that same mass of corn sugar. Think about a pile of large rocks sitting next to a pile of pebbles, which has more air in the pile? Now, shrink those down, the DME is the rocks and the corn sugar is the pebbles.

Hey Harv,
I've used DME for priming the last couple batches I've bottled. I used 1.25 cup
HTH

According to Promash, 6.5oz of DME should produce just over 2 volumes of CO2 at 68 degrees F when used to prime 5 gal.

Check How to Brew for info on how many volumes of CO2 you want for a given style.

DME is less dense than corn sugar.

Back