how long is too long dry hopping in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davcar74

Reaction score
I have an IIPA in secondary closing in on four weeks dryhopping with (if I remember correctly) 2 oz whole centennial. I am hoping to bottle this weekend before I go away, but may not get to it. Will another week or two hurt?

You don't want to go too long with dry hopping. After about 10 days folks report a grassy flavor to the beer.

Wait, you dry hopped for 4 weeks???? um in that case it's probably unlikely that it's gonna do anything that already didn't happen. :eek:

Thanks....oops. I guess that's why its called the beginners forum....I'm pretty sure I had a reason for doing that, but I'm pretty sure I don't remember it and, apparently, it must have been wrong. I will bottle this weekend and hope for the best.

I have a similar question. What if I dry hopped in the primary (10 days) but then moved the batch to a secondary container where it has been for a couple weeks? I was not ready to bottle at the time but I needed the bucket so I just transfered it. Will this have the same "grassy" taste or, since it was moved to a secondary container, will it be fine?

TIA!!

I have a similar question. What if I dry hopped in the primary (10 days) but then moved the batch to a secondary container where it has been for a couple weeks? I was not ready to bottle at the time but I needed the bucket so I just transfered it. Will this have the same "grassy" taste or, since it was moved to a secondary container, will it be fine?

TIA!!

You'll be fine. After all bottling is really just another transfer. The grassy thing is from being exposed to the plant material of the hops too long.

Nothing can be done about it now, so don't worry about it. Age it for a while for conditioning and enjoy your crafted beer.

theres no gaurentee you get a grassy flavor from >10 days exposure so dont give up hope. ive had beer that was dry-hopped much longer with no issues. if you're worried, just add another dose for a few days before you bottle

Tasted this after 16 days in the bottle and its not bad at all....pretty good actually. maybe some off flavors in the grassy dept., but it could also be that its still just young....thanks for the advice. Just goes to show you to not worry too much about this process and enjoy it.

I brewed an IPA last October, had it in primary for a couple weeks, then put it in secondary and dry hopped it. Life got in the way and it sat there in secondary until March. I decided it was time to see if it was still any good so I tasted a sample. It wasnt bad at all, might as well bottle it right? Now I'm sad that I'm down to the last few bottles of it! It's quite good. Don't worry, I think it will be fine.

gotta be honest...and i am usually hard on myself...this came out basically perfect...flavors are spot on...thanks all for replies and help...maybe I got lucky

Back