Switching between two kegs in a single kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronllave

Reaction score
I have a single tap kegerator with one corny keg full of homebrew already hooked up. I am thinking of ordering a second corny and making another batch of brew. The problem is that the second batch will be ready well before I finish off the keg that's currently in the kegerator. Can I just untap the current keg and then tap the new keg when its done brewing? I want to have the option to drink from either keg. I feel like I should be cleaning the lines each time I switch between the kegs, but I'm not sure the best way to do it. I usually clean the lines as I clean an empty keg by running the cleaner/water/sanitizer from the keg through the lines. I can't do this if both kegs are filled with beer. I see two options if I want to have both beers available to drink.

1) order a third keg which would be used for rinsing the lines whenever I want to switch kegs.

2) Step it up and convert my kegerator into a dual tap system.

Does anybody see any other ways of accomplishing this? Thanks for any help.

They sell kits to pump solution through the lines. You could also create your own set up or go with the extra keg, which is probably the easiest & cheapest way. In pinch you can pull the valve from the QD and slowly pour solution into the QD and let that flow into your lines.

I'd do #2 if you can afford to do so. I have three taps which is just right for me. Two was not enough and more than 3 is overkill for me as I have a hard enough time deciding between 3 beers.

Stop over thinking it!

Switch the line all you want. The act of switching a line doesn't make it any dirtier than leaving it on one keg. If you weren't going to clean the lines today anyway, switching kegs shouldn't change anything. Clean them when they are dirty.

Swap kegs, and pour. Just be aware that the first ounce is going to be a blend of both beers. After that, you're golden :mug:

RDWHAHB :)

Stop over thinking it!

Switch the line all you want. The act of switching a line doesn't make the line need cleaning any more than leaving the line on one keg. If you weren't going to clean the lines today anyway, switching kegs shouldn't change anything.

Swap kegs, and pour. Just be aware that the first ounce is going to be a blend of both beers. After that, you're golden :mug:

RDWHAHB :)

+1 No need to clean lines that often.

I'm all about the "just switch the line and drink" method. But you don't think that will mess with the flavors too much after the first few ounces?

Nope, won't mess with the flavors at all after the first pour, and even that won't be very noticeable if you pour a full beer. Switch it and drink up.

I don't see any issues coming from inside the lines other than the 'blended' 1st pour.

The posts might need to be sanitized before reconnecting them after sitting unconnected though.

I just did this the other day. Had a stout hooked up first, then switched to an IPA when my buddy wanted to try it. Just poured 1/2 a glass of the mix , dumped it, and was golden from then on.

I have 3 taps in my basement and 4 kegs in the refrigerator. I have adapted my line going to one of the taps by adding a "T" fitting and shutoff valves (w/check valve) on each branch line from the kegs. This setup allows me to simply close one valve and open the other in order to pour from either keg. You do end up with a small amount of blended brew, but it clears out in short order. This setup could be furthe improved or automated, by the addition of low voltage solenoid valves which can be activated by a selector switch close to the faucet.

Here is a simple diagram:

One_Tap_two_Kegs.bmp

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/One_Tap_two_Kegs.bmp

Salute! :mug:

bringing life to an old post. I want to try adding a T to my current setup. Would you recommend using stainless steel, or will plastic get the job done?

If you could post a picture of how you set this up that would be greatly appreciated.

Back