Dry hopping too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spb

Reaction score
I've been busy lately and it looks like my pale ale will be in the secondary dry-hopping for 2.5-3 weeks. Is this bad? Does anyone think there will be a difference in flavor if I get it bottled at 16 vs. 20 days. Is 16 days too long in general?

The best thing to do while dry-hopping is test the beer every couple of days after a week. Once the beer hit's the sweet spot, take it off the hops. You should be fine in your case though.

The two times I've gotten grassy flavors from dry-hopping, the hops were in the keg for over 8 weeks. In one case, the hops were right off the vine; a proceedure I do not recommend. I left the hops in hoping it would get better. The flavor went from odd to grassy.

I dump my hops in and rack to the kegs when the beer is ready. I find the opposite of David. When I leave them in for a long time they hop flavor seems to peak then eventually starts to subside or mellow. Of course that's over 8 weeks or so.

Very many of you experience grassy flavors from long dry hop times? Just wondering why I haven't?

Back