Converting cups of LME to #s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACo

Reaction score
Sooooooo, the guy at my LHBS was like, "hey, why don't you buy this 33# jug of LME and save some cash..." I thought wow, great idea. But then I realized I don't own a scale :( . So does anyone here have an idea of how many cups of LME are in 1lb? thanks!

-nooooob central

Edit: Reason I am asking: my OG of my first batch when I tried to eye-it (honey pale ale) came out to 1.038. Not too happy about that.

The U-brew is the only place here to get LME and they sell it by the liter. I don't know how precise you want it to be, but 1 liter (4 cups) of LME is roughly 3 lbs, so I guess a cup is around 3/4 of a pound.

If you just want to save some cash - buy 1 lb (preweighed) of the same stuff and just measure that. I know they all are a bit different (just based on densities), but they are roughly the same - and my thought was ~3 cups to 1 lb.

I bought 55 lb online for $98, and it did save some serious cash (for me, since other places are about $4/lb). A 1 gallon ziplock will hold 4 lb comfortably (with a little air).
I split my 55 lb into 4 and 3 lb bags (7 sets), so that I have 7 x 7lb. The rest I use to make starters and for priming.

Good luck

Dave

Buy a scale, very cheap and very useful for things other than beer brewing too!

Back