Yeast,Mold, or Extra at no charge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fa1321tx

Reaction score
I have stuff floating in the tops of my bottles. Could it be yeast? I bottled the beer 12 days ago but one of my friends bottles had mold in them as he did not wash them after drinking them. We washed all the bottles in a big ice chest B-brite cleaner then sanitized them in a separate bucket with iodine based sanitizer. We also filled my friends bottles last. . I had the beer in the primary for over a week and at least 2 weeks in the secondary. Would mold float or is it yeast?

I've never seen yeast float on the top of a beer.

When you washed in bbrite did you use a bottle brush and scrub the insides of the bottles? Molds are tenatious little bastards.

kornkob said:
When you washed in bbrite did you use a bottle brush and scrub the insides of the bottles? Molds are tenatious little bastards.

No because I do not have a bottle brush. I keg 99.9% of the time in fact most of the bottles we bought and drank them that very day. My mold friend said he is paying for the next batch. I did not think of this as a big deal because I had a Kolsch ready to keg only to find that the water in beer bottle I was using for an airlock evaporated!!!!! 2 Batches ruined!!!! 2 lesson learned the hard way! These are the times you think its better just to buy beer!!!

Don't chuck it!!

For some reason this happens to almost all my brews. I'm convinced they are little blobs of yeast (they certainly look like it), because none of the beers have any nasty flavours. I think I started a thread about it a while ago, but it didn't get much attention.

kornkob said:
I've never seen yeast float on the top of a beer.

Krausen is the yeast culture floating at the top of beer. But as the yeast becomes inactive, it sinks to the bottom.:mug:

But if your're talking of not seeing yeast floating in bottles, then neither have I seen that. Anything floating would be considered a contamination.

That's exactly what I'm talking about--- bottled beer with yeast floating in suspension , yes but clumping at the top? I've never seen that.

Still, if there are no off flavors, I'd have to agree with, Sham.

I get little pebbles in my secondary that look like broken chunks of krauesen. They usually float on the top, but some are suspended in the middle. This has happened several times and I've never noticed off-tastes as a result. Contamination mold is usually furry and black.

Of course not all contamination is bad or results in a bad brew. The example of Belgiums. Likewise, the good type contamination might actually be good result. But the result probably not repeatable.

Most bottle contamination I have seen results in bottle gysers. Also, there are lots of particles in suspension. Seems to generate lots of gas. Other than that, the flavor seems unaffected. Once this has happened, special attention has to be given to rid the bottle of the contamination.

Shambolic said:
Don't chuck it!!

For some reason this happens to almost all my brews. I'm convinced they are little blobs of yeast (they certainly look like it), because none of the beers have any nasty flavours. I think I started a thread about it a while ago, but it didn't get much attention.

I didnt chunk it actually I have chilled a bottle to 45F and the stuff appears to be sinking to the bottom. I might try it if all of it sinks.

Hey Cheesefood this beer is your CCA recipe I was really looking foreward to drinking it.
It tasted great going into the bottles!!!

Back