Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you use a regular ale yeast with this recipe?

I'd recommend splurging on some Hefe yeast if you want to brew this recipe. A regular ale yeast like Notty might dry the beer out too much and it won't contribute the same esters or cloudiness to the final product. I used Wyeast 3068 when brewing this beer and it was right on; everybody liked it.

I noticed you go to school in NB, so I'm guessing that blood oranges aren't available there yet... Clementines are a really good substitute, check out my take on this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/clementine-hefeweizen-114435/

btw, which school do you go to? I'm 3rd year at Dal.

I'd recommend splurging on some Hefe yeast if you want to brew this recipe. A regular ale yeast like Notty might dry the beer out too much and it won't contribute the same esters or cloudiness to the final product. I used Wyeast 3068 when brewing this beer and it was right on; everybody liked it.

I noticed you go to school in NB, so I'm guessing that blood oranges aren't available there yet... Clementines are a really good substitute, check out my take on this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/clementine-hefeweizen-114435/

btw, which school do you go to? I'm 3rd year at Dal.

I actually havent looked for blood oranges yet, but yea your probably right. maybe Ill give it a rtry with clementines

I go to St Thomas University, 2yr. I actually wanted to go to Dal originally but I didnt get in haha.

I actually havent looked for blood oranges yet, but yea your probably right. maybe Ill give it a rtry with clementines

I go to St Thomas University, 2yr. I actually wanted to go to Dal originally but I didnt get in haha.

Truthfully, I would have preferred to go away to school rather than stay in Halifax... too many greasy bars and not enough house parties! But yeah, if you come to Halifax for any reason PM me and we can meet up to exchange/drink some homebrew. Let us know how the Hefe goes!

Truthfully, I would have preferred to go away to school rather than stay in Halifax... too many greasy bars and not enough house parties! But yeah, if you come to Halifax for any reason PM me and we can meet up to exchange/drink some homebrew. Let us know how the Hefe goes!

Well Hali would have been away for me thats for sure haha, I grew up in Toronto. and thanks for the tip about the clementines, hopefully I can get this brew going when I get back to freddy from christmas.

Someone asked for the all-grain version...Beersmith converts it as follows:

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.88 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

5.09 lb Pale Malt (3.0 SRM) Grain 61.46 %
3.19 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.54 %
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.1 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.30 %] (20 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
4.00 items Blood Orange (Secondary 10.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.56 %
Bitterness: 15.3 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 4.1 SRM
Rick 500:

What Mash temperature did you use in your All Grain version of the Blood Orange Hefe.

I had this beer at the Xtreme brick and mortar shop in Delaware- Doug the proprietor poured me one for shopping.

INCREDIBLE beer. It is number four on the list.

And one HECK of a store! Doug and co. are awesome.

You are right. Doug is awesome. I try to go every time I am down at my beach house in Milton, DE.

i've been keeping an eye on the stores, may have to make a trip to a more upscale place to pick some up soon, this is next in the queue

i've been keeping an eye on the stores, may have to make a trip to a more upscale place to pick some up soon, this is next in the queue

I picked some up at a Random Giant in Rehoboth Beach DE.

They are in season I believe so it shouldn't be too hard, I doubt you have to go to a more upscale place, unless you are shopping at Food Lion. :p

I got all the ingredients today so tomorrow should be an excellent day for brewing! I don't have access to a large enough pot (exploring the electric kettle option atm...) so I'm using a can of pre-hopped malt extract in addition to 1 kg of dried wheat extract to make the wort. I'll boil the DWE in about 3 litres of water for 15 mins and then add that to the primary along with the can of pre-hopped wort, pasteurized oranges and top-off water.

A 1 litre starter should get things rolling quite quickly... It's just to bad I can't stay true to Sam's recipe.

I picked some up at a Random Giant in Rehoboth Beach DE.

They are in season I believe so it shouldn't be too hard, I doubt you have to go to a more upscale place, unless you are shopping at Food Lion. :p

damn Food Lion's!!

I just checked a few local Acme's while i was out already, i work by a Wegman's that i know will have them, just gotta get over to it

I just brewed this recipe yesterday and it smelled oh so good going into the primary. I can't wait till this one is ready. The nice part is, its a hefe, it can be ready in a touch over two weeks if I keg.

Got Extreme Brewing for Christmas and that recipe looks rather tasty. We may just substitute in the blood oranges for our AG Honey Orange Hefe (honey malt, not actual honey.) It looks delicious, though.

:off: One thing that bothered me, though, is that Mr. Calagione bashes on dry yeast. Other than that, good book.

have a weizenbock in primary, i got the same rules that SWMBO has with shoes, if you brew a new one, you need to have finished an old one. I have 5 kegs with stuff in them still, need to kill one first :) can't wait to hear more impressions though.

Brewed mine on 1/11/10. I was able to locate the blood oranges and used 4-2/3rds small/medium oranges (1/3 of one fell on the floor). I'll let you know how it turns out.

I got the 'Extreme Brewing' book for Christmas as well, and am looking forward to trying this recipe soon.

Lot of mistakes in that book though... LOT of mistakes. It's especially confusing when the recipe ingredients list differs from what they say to add in the steps.

If you are using an AG recipe, what do you need to do to the oranges.

Do you put the zest and oranges into the secondary? Do you boil the oranges and zest?

Help???????/

I took 4 med blood oranges and zested them and then cubed up the fruit. I then took all the zest and fruit and put it in a muslin bag and heated it with a 1/2 gallon of filtered water to a 160 degrees and then turned off the heat and let it steep. I let that cool while I brewed up the all grain recipe from earlier in this thread. After getting the brew to pitching temp and pitching my yeast in my better bottle I put the muslin bag of fruit and zest into the better bottle (Make sure to cut the fruit small enough to fit into the opening if using a carboy or better bottle, it's a tight fit but you can get it in their) and then poured the steeped water mix into the primary. It's bubbling away as we speak and definitely has strong citrus notes.

I would be interested to hear from anyone that placed the citrus in the secondary and especially from someone that has done one in the primary and one in the secondary and the differences they found. Which did you like better?

Yah my brew is about a week in the primary now. Im really hoping the orange does not over power the beer. I used the American Heffeweisen Yeast as well I think it was White Labs 3020 or something like that. Il let you know how it comes out.

Yah my brew is about a week in the primary now. Im really hoping the orange does not over power the beer. I used the American Heffeweisen Yeast as well I think it was White Labs 3020 or something like that. Il let you know how it comes out.

The first time I made it with clementines I thought that even though I had used 1.5 lbs, it could have used a little more... The only thing I'd be worried about would be the pith (the white part of the peel), which could over-power the beer if used because it's extremely bitter.

I just picked up the ingredients to make this beer... I still have a question on the portions of the orange to use. My plan was to peel the orange, dice up the "guts" (the section you would eat) but leave as much of the white part of the peel as possible off the guts. Then I was going to zest the "peels" and add the chopped up fruit portion and the zest to the muslin bag and discard the rime. Does this sound like a good plan?

Also, isn't the zest of an orange more or less a fine powder? Won't that fall through the muslin bag?

I just picked up the ingredients to make this beer... I still have a question on the portions of the orange to use. My plan was to peel the orange, dice up the "guts" (the section you would eat) but leave as much of the white part of the peel as possible off the guts. Then I was going to zest the "peels" and add the chopped up fruit portion and the zest to the muslin bag and discard the rime. Does this sound like a good plan?

Also, isn't the zest of an orange more or less a fine powder? Won't that fall through the muslin bag?

Zest the oranges first, it's much easier to do when they're whole. Then peel the oranges and pick any large bits of the white stuff (aka pith) off of the fruit. At this point I pull the sections of the oranges a part and cut them in half before pasteurizing the whole lot and throwing it into the fermenter.

I ran the oranges across a grater and zested only the bright orange part. After they were zested I cut off the reaming peel until only fresh blood orange was left (discarded all of the remaining peel and all white stuff). I threw that in at 160-170 deg water and let it steep at 150 deg and then dumped the whole thing into the fermenter. I'll be pulling it out of the fermenter in a week and a half, I'll let you know then how hard it is to separate it from the zested orange peel. Last time I checked most of the orange was floating.

I ran the oranges across a grater and zested only the bright orange part. After they were zested I cut off the reaming peel until only fresh blood orange was left (discarded all of the remaining peel and all white stuff). I threw that in at 160-170 deg water and let it steep at 150 deg and then dumped the whole thing into the fermenter. I'll be pulling it out of the fermenter in a week and a half, I'll let you know then how hard it is to separate it from the zested orange peel. Last time I checked most of the orange was floating.

Did you do this in a glass carboy? I'm curious how hard the muslin bag with the wet compacted oranges will be to come out of the carboy...

I did this recipe a while back, but I had to substitute Navel Oranges since Blood Oranges weren't in season. It still came out great. My best beer yet, and I will be brewing it again, hopefully with Blood Oranges.

Are you putting the fruit into the primary or secondary?

I'm going to put the fruit right in the primary. Since this is a wheat beer and I don't care about clarity, and wheat beers taste good young, I'm not putting this into a secondary. It's only recommended to ferment for 10 days anyway.

Is my thinking off?

I'm going to put the fruit right in the primary. Since this is a wheat beer and I don't care about clarity, and wheat beers taste good young, I'm not putting this into a secondary. It's only recommended to ferment for 10 days anyway.

Is my thinking off?

You're right on the money in my opinion. The only measure I take to "filter" my Hefeweizens is putting a muslin bag over the exiting end of the siphon in order to catch any pieces of orange that may have broken away from the rest of the pack. In my (limited) experience, the oranges have always floated and racking from the bottom doesn't drag too many small orange particles into the keg/bottling bucket.

Back