green mossy stuff ruined my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterBensin

Reaction score
My second batch. It was supposed to be a Gluten Free beer for my allergic girlfriend. I tried skimming it out. That didn't work, way too much, it was disgusting. I must have infected it when I got my OG. Don't really need any help, just some words of encouragement. I guess I'll go drink some of my first batch.

Maybe he was brewing some Genesee Cream Ale. All the old timers used to call it "Killer Green".

When did you notice this....at bottling time, shortly after starting fermentation, days, a week?

Green mossy stuff? Sounds like some kind of fungus but are you sure it wasn't krausen with hops in it? I've had hop particles push to the surface and form a slight green cap on my krausen early in fermentation before.

Green mossy stuff? Sounds like some kind of fungus but are you sure it wasn't krausen with hops in it? I've had hop particles push to the surface and form a slight green cap on my krausen early in fermentation before.

It was well mixed throughout. And slimy, and way more of it than I put in hops. No odor though. Other than beer. I tasted some of the portion I filtered. It was OK(ish). I just couldn't get all, and it was very slimy. Did I mention gross and slimy.

Eww what? Pictures?

IMG_0196.jpg

This is what my sink looked like after. This is 1-2 strainer dips worth.

What was your sanitation and brew process?

I screwed up the sanitation right before I put it away. Dipped my, apparently not so clean hands, into the wort when i was getting the gravity reading. I'm normally very careful. It was stupid, and I knew it was stupid when I did it.

I screwed up the sanitation right before I put it away. Dipped my, apparently not so clean hands, into the wort when i was getting the gravity reading. I'm normally very careful. It was stupid, and I knew it was stupid when I did it.

Remind me never to shake hands with you.:eek:

I agree- that looks like hops sludge to me. It looks like pellet hops that disintegrated into sludge. If you didn't use pellet hops, though, I guess you have a problem!

It was well mixed throughout. And slimy, and way more of it than I put in hops. No odor though. Other than beer. I tasted some of the portion I filtered. It was OK(ish). I just couldn't get all, and it was very slimy. Did I mention gross and slimy.

How long was it fermenting for? Did you dry hop? I think it looks like hop sludge, too.

Did you chuck it all, or did some of it get bottled? I'd drink it in a week or so, but open it over the sink.

7 ounces?! was it a serious IPA? And I too agree - that is what hop pellets look like in the aftermath.

MisterBensin: Did you toss it?? I hope not.. That looks like hops fo sho. . Come over to the gluten free brewers group, maybe somebody over there could help you get a better product. Link in my sig. .

Ok, we've established that the green goo looks just like pellet hops (no need to post yet another "I agree" sentiment). Let's wait for the OP to come back with his recipe details and go from there.

Latest posts

Back