bitterness ratio in Beer Smith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Just noticed the bitterness ratio in Beer Smith. What ratio should one shoot for, for different styles?

I did a Blonde Ale, which had a ratio of .49, which I found to be under hopped.

I did a IPA (still in fermenter) which had a ratio of 1.03. Is this going to be way too high?

Maybe someone else can point to an online source for bitterness ratios by style, but I can tell you that Ray Daniels establishes a range for this in each style he covers in Designing Great Beers.

You can calculate them yourself from the BJCP style guidelines which list both the OG range and the IBU range.

http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.html

GT

that's perfect, but I have a follow up question. I looked at the english IPA category - the IPA I'm currently brewing. my bitterness ratio is 1.02, however, it looks as if the range for english IPA would be 1.2 -> .53, with an average being about .8. does this mean that mine is "in style" but on the high side?

FWIW: my IBUs are 59, with an OG of 57

does this mean that mine is "in style" but on the high side?

FWIW: my IBUs are 59, with an OG of 57

Yes. I think you'll be fine.

Actually, unless you're entering this beer into a competition, dont' even worry about the BU:GU ratio. If you're going to be drinking it all at home then do whatever you want. That's what makes this hobby so friggin great.

Yes. I think you'll be fine.

Actually, unless you're entering this beer into a competition, dont' even worry about the BU:GU ratio. If you're going to be drinking it all at home then do whatever you want. That's what makes this hobby so friggin great.

Thanks, I agree. Just trying to learn to be a better brewer - I enjoy making up my own recipes, but am trying to learn what would make the beer taste "good" versus "bad". I think a lower gravity ale, with high IBU would taste pretty good, but I don't want to make a monster.

my next steps are to learn what the specialty malts add to each beer, and to learn what types of hops are appropriate, taste good together.

I listened to an interview with one of the guys from New Belgium (most famous for fat tire) where he ranted for a good 10 minutes on how much he hates the idea of beer styles and considers himself to be an artist that doesn't want to be constrained to style guidelines. I halfway agree... styles are great for choosing beers you're not familiar with, and they give you a good starting point for hitting the kind of flavors you want. On the other hand, some of the best beers i've had don't fit a classic style, usually because their hoppiness is out of line with the style (3 Flloyds Gumball Head - well hopped wheat, Houblon Chouffe highly-hopped belgian tripel). So take the BU/GU ratio with a grain of salt and experiment with what you think will taste good, not what will taste 'right'

Back