Air tight mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schultan

Reaction score
Has anyone put any thought into creating an airtight mashtun? If the tun were airtight, then theoretically one could blanket the system with nitrogen and prevent any oxidation from occurring. This would be very advantageous. Would one be able to convert a keg into a system like this? Just an idea. Any input?

Why would that be so advantageous? HSA is a gigantic myth (there's a BYO issue about it - a little Googling will find it). An airtight mash tun sounds like a great way to limit flexibility for no good reason.

Bah Humbug said:
The mash heats air and expands. Bad idea to make it air tight.
If it cools it would shrink and try to collapse the MT

HA! I know a guy who lost a very expensive still to this. Closed all the valves and shut off the burner. Then started monkeying around with the distillate, then THUMP!! Scrap Copper!

Perhaps I wasn't clear, I apologize. My thought process behind this was to eliminate HSA by putting the entire system under nitrogen. If the system is being purged by N2, it cannot create a vacuum and collapse. Also, if no O2 is present, then one could stir the mash, creating a more efficient extraction as well as homogenized temperature. If anybody has the reference for the HSA being a myth article, I wouldn't mind giving it a read. Thanks all.

Just go to byo.com and do a search for "hot side" or click here.

It's not that hot side aeration is a myth, but the ease at which it may occur is. I tend to treat my hot stuff gently due to habit and also because it feels like I'm giving it more care. However, I do not worry about HSA.

Also, truly, I'd rather not be the guy that finds out that HSA can make a significant difference to a homebrewer, but I don't cringe when I get some splashes, and I'm not about to spend the time and expense on an oxygen-free mashing environment.

TL

Until my brewstand is done, I've had to collect my runnings into a bucket that I DUMP into my kettle. If that's doesn't contribute to HSA, I don't know what will. I think HSA is more of a concern POST boil, not pre. The boil drives off any oxygen that may have gotten dissolved.

+1 Bobby,
I have never experienced any HSA in almost 30 years of brewing. I am always careful not to do stupid things that would introduce oxygen into the wort when hot (except when pitching yeast at 80 F). For the home brewer it is not much of a problem if you practice good procedure for wort handling.

schultan said:
Also, if no O2 is present, then one could stir the mash, creating a more efficient extraction as well as homogenized temperature.
People DO stir their mash, in non-airtight mash tuns. I'm not sure where you got the idea that O2 was such a gigantic problem during the mash. Of course I've heard people worry about HSA, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone that concerned about it during the mash. Have you ever seen the pictures of how they mash in commercial breweries? Big vats with big stirrers? I've never seen any evidence that their containers are airtight or that they purge oxygen from them, despite the fact that big breweries are the ones that actually DO have to worry about HSA due to the giant amounts of wort they pump around. Of course, I'm no expert on commercial brewing processes so it's possible I missed something.

I think if you've got the cash and initiative to even think about going that crazy with a nitrogen-purged sealed mash tun, you'd be much better off applying your ingenuity to some other part of the brewing process, on a problem that could actually benefit from a fix. Over-the-top DIY projects are one of my favorite parts of brewing, and of belonging to a brewing forum - but it's a lot better when they're really useful as well ;)

I never worry about HSA as my brews never stick around long enough to accumulate the affects.

Eff HSA!

-W3

This project sounds like a solution in search of a problem. I have been brewing off and on for 35 years and have never run into a problem with oxidation in the mash. You would have to try very hard on purpose to oxidize the mash. There are many other things you would be better off applying your time and energy towards improving. Just take reasonable precautions not to splash the wort around and you will be just fine.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Funkenjaeger said:
People DO stir their mash, in non-airtight mash tuns. I'm not sure where you got the idea that O2 was such a gigantic problem during the mash. Of course I've heard people worry about HSA, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone that concerned about it during the mash. Have you ever seen the pictures of how they mash in commercial breweries? Big vats with big stirrers? I've never seen any evidence that their containers are airtight or that they purge oxygen from them, despite the fact that big breweries are the ones that actually DO have to worry about HSA due to the giant amounts of wort they pump around. Of course, I'm no expert on commercial brewing processes so it's possible I missed something.

I think if you've got the cash and initiative to even think about going that crazy with a nitrogen-purged sealed mash tun, you'd be much better off applying your ingenuity to some other part of the brewing process, on a problem that could actually benefit from a fix. Over-the-top DIY projects are one of my favorite parts of brewing, and of belonging to a brewing forum - but it's a lot better when they're really useful as well ;)
yeah if you've got the money to do that, look into pressure fermenting. I think it's my new favorite topic to look into.

Bobby_M said:
Until my brewstand is done, I've had to collect my runnings into a bucket that I DUMP into my kettle. If that's doesn't contribute to HSA, I don't know what will. I think HSA is more of a concern POST boil, not pre. The boil drives off any oxygen that may have gotten dissolved.

Ditto, with the bucket, no problems so far with HSA.

Back