1968 london esb for a RIS???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokebucket

Reaction score
I am brewing the Weasel Boy RIS this weekend that was in last month's Zymurgy mag. I have a nut brown that I used the ESB yeast with that will go into bottles Friday night, so I was thinking of using the yeast cake.

I know this is probably not the ideal yeast to use, but this is a more muted recipe for a RIS, so I am hopeful I can get away with this less attenuative yeast instead of having to buy more yeast and make a starter.

Thoughts? I dont have the recipe in front of me, but I know that it is an 8% beer.

It should handle the alcohol just fine. When you do pitch the new wort onto that cake, I'd pour about a quart or so in there and swirl it around really well to break up those chunks as much as possible. A 1968 cake is going to be pretty firm.

Do you have precise temp control? Pitch and start that around 64-65*F (beer temp, not air) for a few days, then slowly raise it to 67-68*F over the next couple of days. The biggest challenge with 1968 is keeping it from dropping out too soon in cooler temps. Once it heads to the bottom, that cake is so firm that you really can't swirl it up again as you could with other yeasts.

big floyd,

Thanks for the advice. I do have temp control and will follow your temp schedule.

Thanks again.

Cigar City Brewing uses 1968 as their house strain, all the way up to 13% abv. Like BigFloyd said, it can be very finicky. I have a 1.060 stout going with it right now, with the sole purpose of using the cake in a 1.130 Imperial Stout (Zhukov/Hunahpu-ish clone). The only advice I was given was use lots of oxygen and a really big blow off tube. Best of luck!

Cigar City Brewing uses 1968 as their house strain, all the way up to 13% abv. Like BigFloyd said, it can be very finicky. I have a 1.060 stout going with it right now, with the sole purpose of using the cake in a 1.130 Imperial Stout (Zhukov/Hunahpu-ish clone). The only advice I was given was use lots of oxygen and a really big blow off tube. Best of luck!

Glad you mentioned the blow-off tube. That's a must.

I'm not sure that I'd bother with the O2 (even though I have the gear) when tossing an ale onto an existing cake. It will take off quite vigorously on its own. Expect an eruption around the second day.

I can't get much Wyeast at my LHBS but the WL equivalent WLP002, is my house strain. With a good pitch rate, O2 and good temp control, I routinely get 77-79% AA with it.

As others have said, you want to be taking this yeast warmer as fermentation proceeds, not colder. I make a lot of Brit beers in the 4-5.5% abv range. My typical ferment schedule with this yeast is to pitch around 64f, then free rise to 66f. I hold it there until the 96 hr mark. By that time, i'd estimate I am 3/4 the way to FG and my ester profile is set. At that point I walk the temp up 2f per day (1f before I leave for work and 1f when I get done with dinner) until I am at 70f.

I leave it there until the beer drops clear (usually midway through the second week). That seems to attenuate well and scrub any diacetyl or acetaldehyde.

If my gravity is where I want it then (which it almost always is with this yeast) I begin to walk the temp back down 2-3f per day until I am in the low 60s to upper 50s.

The compact yeast cake is a snap to siphon around at that point and into the keg she goes.

i agree with others, % abv is no problem, just really watch out for diacetyl, raise temps as you go

Just an update:

-I pitched on Saturday and it is holding at 64. Actually, i pitched and then transferred wort and yeast cake back and forth several times to aerate and mix it all up. It seemed like the way to do it anyways.
-It took a full 24 hours to get going...I was starting to sweat it! This morning, I had to break up a clog in the blow off line....it is really throwing off some gas! I am going to bump the temp to 66 this afternoon and let it rise up (ferm wrap is unplugged).

Back