timing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallyBrew

Reaction score
Hey,

So I just bottled my first batch. It fermented for 7 days and then I transfered it to a secondary fermenter for 2 more weeks and then primed and bottled it. At what point would you say it is good to start consuming? How long does it take for the priming to add the carbonation, etc? When can it be refrigerated?

I'm sure that I put too much sugar in it for priming...is there something I can do to minimize any negative effects? It's not the end of the world i'm sure but if there is some action I can take to help, I'd like to.

Thanks!

It typically takes 3 weeks in the bottle before it stops tasting green, but crack one open in a week to sample so you get a sense for the carb level and taste. Beer will get better over time, most of mine peak around the 3 month mark, but ultimately, if you like how it tastes, go ahead and drink it.

Three weeks minimum if you prime with dextrose. If you use DME or Honey to prime, it could take twice that.

its your first batch. try one every 5 to 7 days so you can taste the changing flavors over the next 3 weeks.

TallyBrew said:
I'm sure that I put too much sugar in it for priming...is there something I can do to minimize any negative effects? It's not the end of the world i'm sure but if there is some action I can take to help, I'd like to.

Thanks!
How much priming sugar did you add? To much may make them over carbed and they may get a bit to foamy.

I put about 4.5 ounces in when I think I should have stuck to 3/4 cup...I checked out the recommended amount for an IPA and it looks like a max of 3.5 ounces is appropriate...

4.5 oz isn't that bad. it might be a little fizzy for the style, but you won't have bottle bombs.
I wouldn't try to fix it. If that's the biggest 'problem' you had on batch #1, give yourself a big pat on the back for doing a good job.

also 3/4cup is closer to 5oz of sugar as I recall...so you're probably not as off as you think.

TallyBrew said:
I put about 4.5 ounces in when I think I should have stuck to 3/4 cup...I checked out the recommended amount for an IPA and it looks like a max of 3.5 ounces is appropriate...
You will be just fine considering that it is your first batch and they don't last to long. :)

I have gotten to the point that my brews can sit over 1 month and after returning from a 3 week vacation I found my latest effort to be overcarbed and I added 4.5 oz. to the bottling bucket.

Back