Pump in a box - Usefulness is questionable, but a fun little project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notcreative

Reaction score
Step 1: Cut a hole in the box, Step 2: Put yo' junk in that box.

March pump and misc fittings (info via 'TwoHeadsBrewing')
2012-09-08%252016.28.15.jpg

Plano ammo box
2012-09-17%252021.51.52.jpg

Switched Power Socket
2012-09-17%252021.57.23.jpg

2012-09-17%252021.58.00.jpg

Pushing everything in...
2012-09-17%252022.06.03.jpg

Finished product:
2012-09-17%252022.05.36.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For my Chugger Pump I wasn't worried about the head so I made a little wooden "carrier".
sdc13028t.jpg

How is this not overheating? I've had nothing but difficulty with my chugger pumps tripping the thermal saftey. I have to keep a box fan blowing on them to supplement the built in fan.

How is this not overheating? I've had nothing but difficulty with my chugger pumps tripping the thermal saftey. I have to keep a box fan blowing on them to supplement the built in fan.

If you're Chugger Pump is overheating then you should contact them to get a replacement. I had that issue with my first Chugger and they shipped out a replacement to me right away. I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service.

[email protected]

(866) 921-1340

If you're Chugger Pump is overheating then you should contact them to get a replacement. I had that issue with my first Chugger and they shipped out a replacement to me right away. I have nothing but good things to say about their customer service.

[email protected]

(866) 921-1340

Agreed, I've been in contact with Mike and had a new pump sent. However, it had the older small impeller in the head and it still overheats. Great customer service, but not yet satisfied :(

Good point, I haven't used it 'in the box' yet. I considered adding in vents on the bottom (assuming I add legs, etc to it) or a fan, but figured I'd let it run for a bit, and if it's overheating, just take off the top until I get a more permanent solution.

Thanks for the input.

I put a cover over my Chugger pumps and that was enough to cause them to overheat. I contacted Chugger and Mike said to remove the cover because the motors can handle a little splashing. I'm still a little uncomfortable with this so I might try putting some vent holes in the covers.

2012-09-19%2016.28.50%20HDR.jpg

2012-09-19%2016.28.59%20HDR.jpg

This is a pretty cool idea. I think I'm going to do something like this with a plastic toolbox, like the 23" Stanley Fat Max, and put a pump on each end. Since I brew on my deck, it should make transporting the pumping mechanism to and from storage nice and easy. Sounds like I'll need to add a cooling fan or two though.

wyzazz said:
Nice build! You've got a handle now, and a nice clean looking pump to bring out for brewdays! For me the object was to put my entire pump inside the box so the I didn't accidentally break the plastic head.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pump-inside-toolbox-stainless-282011/index4.html

Hmmm.... Glad to see that this pump idea took off. I am about to post some photos of the "pump inside a toolbox" V2.0. I've integrated an SSR, PID controller, and controls for a RIMS tube...

Sorry for the off topic thread stealingbpodt, just got me excited to share@

Some questions for the OP - How did you cut the hole for the pump head? I assume a hole saw, then a dremel or drill to make notches for the screws? What size hole saw did you use?

Some questions for the OP - How did you cut the hole for the pump head? I assume a hole saw, then a dremel or drill to make notches for the screws? What size hole saw did you use?

I've uploaded the pattern for the March 809 pumphead cutout here:

March 809 Pump Bulkhead Cutout

I built a nearly identical pump box as the OP. I even store the cord inside in the same way (use a thinner cord!). I drilled an array of small holes on the sides of the box for some ventilation. I've never had an overheating issue in more than 2 years of use.

Back