mustang grape/ wild grape wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CEversole

Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe for wine out of wild/mustang grapes? They grow everywhere here in Texas, a lot of the old timers around here used to or somewhat still make it. However, they are hesitant to share knowledge...Thanks.

I have a friend in Texas who makes great mustang grape wine! Just follow jack keller's instructions (gratus gave the link) and you'll be golden.

We spend part of the winter on the gulf coast in Texas, but have missed the mustang grape time. Otherwise, I'd be fighting for those grapes- they make a wine that good!

I've drank a ton of it and always thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm more experienced with making beer, this will be my first attempt at wine making. On second thought, I may post a thread about adding wild grapes to a beer as well. You should come down one June and collect all the grapes you can!

I've drank a ton of it and always thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm more experienced with making beer, this will be my first attempt at wine making. On second thought, I may post a thread about adding wild grapes to a beer as well. You should come down one June and collect all the grapes you can!

We Yoopers get too hot in Texas in June! But I should ask some friends to collect some and stick them in their chest freezer and I could make wine for them as payment. They are brewers, but don't make wine- at least no yet.

By the way, I just saw that "our" neighborhood (we just rent, don't own) got hit by tornadoes on Thursday. Sounds like some very severe weather, and the photos are pretty shocking. I'm going to call some neighbors in a little bit to make sure they are ok, and their house is still standing, but I don't think they have cell/internet/electricity yet. The house we rent looks fine, but the house across the street is mostly gone.

Just picked 4.5 gallons of Mustangs yesterday. Looking at Keller's recipes, I'm having trouble determining the yield for the recipes, primarily the first one. Also, what should the OG be?

Just picked 4.5 gallons of Mustangs yesterday. Looking at Keller's recipes, I'm having trouble determining the yield for the recipes, primarily the first one. Also, what should the OG be?

Its a gallon. 1qt juice + 3qt water. Can't help you with the gravity

Is it 1qt of pure grape juice? I'm wondering if I could use a little water and heat on the stove to help render the juice?

They should be getting ripe this Month!

Are mustang/wild grapes the same as the concord grapes that grow wild all over southern New England? Smells like grape jelly!

Back