efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sorefingers23

Reaction score
today i made my 3rd batch of edworts hefeweizen, and for the 3rd time ive got a low efficiency, the first time it was 50%, second time was 62%, and this time 68%.

with all my other beers ive made ive been getting between 70% and 80%, and i was wondering if there was i reason its only happening with the hefes.

It's probably the grind. Are you using the one at your LBHS? Sometimes it's set a little more coarse to make it easier for new brewers to sparge.

Yes, it could be the wheat. It either has to be ground at a smaller mill setting, or run through about 3 times. Either one works. Rye needs the same treatment, in case you ever get into using that. It could be any number of things, really, but that does seem the most likely answer.

Well your beer will either be lower in alcohol or higher in alcohol. This van be adjusted with either adding or taking away base malt.

how big of an impact does the efficiency have on the outcome of the beer?

It affects everything. Say for example you have a nice round number like 1.050. If you get 80% efficiency your beginning s.g. will be 1.040. That's pretty good. But if you get 50% you start at 1.025. Roughly it's the difference between a 4% and a 2%. You can compensate for poor efficiency by adding more grain but that's another thread. And for the record, i get the same efficiency on wheat beers and barly(regular) beer. And they go through the same mill.

Back