Oops we forgot to take a FG reading...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holycrepe

Reaction score
So we had a cream stout that had been in the secondary close to 2 weeks, after a week in the primary, decided to bottle it today, Yesterday, I put it in the fridge to cold crash it.

We didnt take any readings the last couple of days, which we had done on other batches, and after what happened today, we will be doing that from now on.

We forgot to take one today as well, rememberd just as we were finishing bottling and got our sample from the bottom of the bottling bucket as were finishing up.

Freaked out a bit, when the FG reading on the hydrometer was 1.040. then i realized that the dregs of the bottling bucket could have more residual sugars than the rest of the batch as it was below the spigot the whole time... opened the last bottle we had bottled and got a reading of 1.022, better, but still higher than the 1.020 we had at racking almost 2 weeks ago.

My questions:

How much would the bottling sugar solution raise the gravity of our beer? obviously its higher, but could it be actually .01 more? we were shooting for a range of 1.012-1.014 per the kit.

are we safe to let it go, or should we worried about some serious bottle bombs with all that sugar to get fermented out?

According to Beersmith .125lbs (2oz) of Corn Sugar in 5 gallons would make a 1.001 OG solution.

So it's possible you have 1.021 stout which isn't that off.

As for comparison...I can't help ya as I've never done a reading after the bottling sugar was added

Someone else will have to chime in now with that Relax acronym =D

Someone else will have to chime in now with that Relax acronym =D

Aw man, sniped!:D

Seriously though, crack a bottle and check the gravity. You DON"T want bottle bombs! If you still have fermentables in there sanitize a carboy and rack it.

Back