Wine Recipes 1887 Whitehouse cookbook

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spent about 30 minutes just reading thru that site and must say-- Thank you, it is very interesting to me! I have been relearning the everyday things that our forefathers learned from the start-- cheese making, wine making, bread making- all kinds of stuff... and it started with gardening and trying to figure out what to do with all of the fresh produce to keep it thru the winter, other than just canning and freezing.
I do have to chuckle at some of the descriptions tho-- and I wonder, Why in the world would you put several pieces of brown paper into a wine for a few days?(blackberry wine #1)
Would it be like putting it in oak? I'm sure that they made brown paper different back then, than they do today-- I don't think I'd like to put any paper into my wine today... :D
And it looked like many of them were boiled!:eek:
Thanks again for the interesting site!:rockin:

This is just a shot in the dark, but I believe brown paper (kraft paper) is made with sulfur. Maybe it was a 19th Century version of campden tablets.

Dave

Glad you enjoyed the link. I too find myself going from section to section.

Back