Making water tight seals on spigots, therm, etc...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmickey

Reaction score
I just converted over a Sanke Keg to a kettle and I plan on using the Weld-B-Gone Spigots, I purchased the stainless steel version but I'm wondering if people still use teflon tape on the threads to make sure there are no water leaks or what is the best?

I just converted over a Sanke Keg to a kettle and I plan on using the Weld-B-Gone Spigots, I purchased the stainless steel version but I'm wondering if people still use teflon tape on the threads to make sure there are no water leaks or what is the best?

I did my keggle with teflon tape at all the joints. I didn't use weldbgone or locktite because I may wantt o take it apart at some point in the future.

Arkador...weld-b-gone are weldless products made by Zymco, but a good point on the locktite....I as well, with my welded keggle, use tape on all threads.

My only thoughts were that maybe it could be a place for bacteria to cling on to??? That's kinda what made me post this question.

My only thoughts were that maybe it could be a place for bacteria to cling on to??? That's kinda what made me post this question.

On a kettle? Unlikely. However - it is a good idea to periodically take the weldless fittings apart and clean them.

On anything besides a kettle, you must take apart the fittings every brew.

On a kettle? Unlikely. However - it is a good idea to periodically take the weldless fittings apart and clean them.

On anything besides a kettle, you must take apart the fittings every brew.

Definately use plenty of tape. I installed a weldless fitting after reading a caution to use plenty of tape and still had a leak. Took it apart, replaced and added MORE tape and no more leak.

I don't take apart fittings on any vessel that is in front of the boil. I definately clean everything but do not disassemble the fittings. I have assumed a 60 or 90 minute boil should take care of most bad things that make it into the boil kettle. Likewise, the boil kettle valve & fittings should be sanitized by the heat of a boil. I also circulate boiling wort through my pump, chiller and any hoses/fittings that will come in contact after flameout.

Someone please let me know if my logic is flawed.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back