I know they make heater straps for carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfreak

Reaction score
But does anyone make a cooling strap?? I'm wanting to buy a plastic conical fermenter, but I have no way of keeping it cool. And I keep my apartment at 78*. So does anyone make a belt per say, that cools down?

A lot of guys use what they call "swamp buckets" to keep carboys cool. Basically it's just a tub of water with a towel draped around the carboy. The water is wicked up the towel and then a fan is used to help the water evaporate. As the water evaporates off of the towel, the carboy is cooled. Everyone seems to have good results with this and you don't really have to worry about replacing ice all the time, just water every once-in-a-while.

A lot of guys use what they call "swamp buckets" to keep carboys cool. Basically it's just a tub of water with a towel draped around the carboy. The water is wicked up the towel and then a fan is used to help the water evaporate. As the water evaporates off of the towel, the carboy is cooled. Everyone seems to have good results with this and you don't really have to worry about replacing ice all the time, just water every once-in-a-while.

But he's asking about a conical. Won't work the same way.

I am not an electrical genius, and that idea looks "cool" but the way that website wires the device defeats part of the purpose of the system, I think. I believe that the power supply intended for the device has four leads so that the fan is always on but the power to the thermoelectric unit is reduced as needed to slow the cooling process or shut it off as needed.

Might have to buy this and try it out.

edit: In thinking about this some more I would use 2 sets of leads from the power supply and run a temperature controller with one set and the other set would power the fan all the time.

I always thought that if someone came out with a small pump and a glycol belt for a carboy that they could sell for under $100 they'd probably make good bread on the deal.

Sorry I don't have a solution to your problem. Brewpastor has built a glycol system for his conical. Maybe talk to him.

I think it might be difficult to efficiently cool a carboy from the outside with a belt if a device existed. Just brainstorming, but what if you made a narrow U out of some stainless steel tubing, narrow enough to fit through the opening of a carboy, then pump cooled glycol through it. That way you are cooling the beer directly, instead of the air or glass that surrounds it, much like an iceprobe, but for a carboy. This, in combination with an insulating jacket for the carboy, might allow you to get some pretty cool temperatures....Just thinking out loud here....

Back