Mash Tun with stainless steel braided weave hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a braid and took a piece of copper tubing with a ton of slits cut through it and used that for the inside support. It works great. I also use a rectangular cooler. My braid is a straight piece. Have been hitting the mid 80's for pre-boil

I'm mystified why you need internal support. I've used up to 75 lb. of grain with my braid and it worked fine. Did you try it without the tube?

Denny said:
I'm mystified why you need internal support. I've used up to 75 lb. of grain with my braid and it worked fine. Did you try it without the tube?

Yeah the only time i needed support was when I recirculated way too fast.

Denny said:

Haven't tried without but since it's in their already it just gives me piece of mind.

75lbs of grain? How many gallons of beer do you make at one time and how long does that take from start to finish

I started using braid from a toilet supply and after about a dozen mashes it started getting beat up from stirring the mash. I switched to a copper manifold and I have been much happier with it. It was inexpensive and easy. I got good efficiency and I have never had a stuck sparge with it. Just my two cents.

I started using braid from a toilet supply and after about a dozen mashes it started getting beat up from stirring the mash. I switched to a copper manifold and I have been much happier with it. It was inexpensive and easy. I got good efficiency and I have never had a stuck sparge with it. Just my two cents.

My braid is beat to hell. Looks ugly but still works great.

Fresh question. Moving to all grain setup. I have a Home Depot 10 gallon cooler to convert. The last partial mash I did, I realized I had a 1lb bag of unmilled grain; completely slipped through the cracks when I had the home brew store mill the other grains. Unfortunately, it was Sunday morning, the home brew store was closed, and the wife already had the kids out of the house to let me brew. With no way to mill, I panicked and bought a Kitchen Aid mill from Williams Sonoma for like $140.00.

The mill is built for making your own flour, so the coarsest setting grinds the grains up pretty fine. The end result was a thick sludge in my wort. After it cooled, I siphoned it through a hop bag into the carboy before pitching yeast.

But back to my question. If I'm going to have grain that is milled a little finer than usual, what set-up is best? I don't care if I end up fly or batch sparging. I more worried that way too much sediment will make it through a false bottom, or the fine sediment will clog a braided hose quickly.

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Sell that kitchen aid attachment on ebay while it is still worth something before you break it. Take the proceeds and by another mill, anything from a $25 Corona to a $300 Monster will work better than the KA attachement IMHO.

Firstly the KA mills are designed for making baking flour, secondly they are for ginding a few cups, NOT 10-15 pounds that us brewers need.

If you are dead set on using it, maybe BIAB???

Or, if you're set on using the Kitchen Aid device, invest in a nice bed of rice hulls and fly sparge your way to victor?

Fresh question. Moving to all grain setup. I have a Home Depot 10 gallon cooler to convert. The last partial mash I did, I realized I had a 1lb bag of unmilled grain; completely slipped through the cracks when I had the home brew store mill the other grains. Unfortunately, it was Sunday morning, the home brew store was closed, and the wife already had the kids out of the house to let me brew. With no way to mill, I panicked and bought a Kitchen Aid mill from Williams Sonoma for like $140.00.

The mill is built for making your own flour, so the coarsest setting grinds the grains up pretty fine. The end result was a thick sludge in my wort. After it cooled, I siphoned it through a hop bag into the carboy before pitching yeast.

But back to my question. If I'm going to have grain that is milled a little finer than usual, what set-up is best? I don't care if I end up fly or batch sparging. I more worried that way too much sediment will make it through a false bottom, or the fine sediment will clog a braided hose quickly.

Any suggestions?

I crush very fine, a lot of flour. Using a braid, I have never had a stuck runoff in 430 batches.

Thanks for the feedback. It's a solid and heavy piece of machinery, so I don't doubt it can handle milling 15 lbs of grain every so often.

Ebay seems to have a lot of new, unused KA grain mills available. I'd be looking at maybe getting half what I paid or less, but maybe that's worth it. I'll think about it.

Back