Is homebrewing making me fat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
My desire to brew has given me a LOT of beer in the basement. With all that stock, I feel compelled to have a beer every day. At my age (40), I think it's making me fat. Maybe I'll stop eating to reserve more calories for beer.

Well, I've read monks used beer while they were fasting to sustain themselves. I mean if monks do it, it can't be that bad, right?

1 beer a day shouldn't be that bad. The real question is do you exercise at all? If you're truly concerned start going for a walk after dinner everyday. I would recommend against holding back on healthy foods to compensate calories...just exercise a little more.

When I first started brewing, my friend Micheal developed a microbrew-belly. Up to that point he was rail thin (6'2"/170lb). Homebrew can pack a lot of Calories in a pint. Me, I've always been on the border of over-weight. One of the reasons I prefer to make small beers.

No, it's your pants making you look fat!!! :D

True enough, the monks did drink beer during fasting periods, but remember, you are drinking beer AND eating so you're essentially doubling up on your caloric intake.

ANY amount of exercise will help...and make you live longer to enjoy more beer.

I know, life is such a vicious cycle...:mug:

I dunno if my beer makes me fatter, but it certainly makes the women around me look a lot thinner.......Thinner chicks is exactly what Ohio needs!

Just think of it as storage for a bad winter. :mug:

While the skinny people are eating each other you can sit back and relax for the long haul.

Just think of it as storage for a bad winter.

While the skinny people are eating each other you can sit back and relax for the long haul.
Not really a good analogy...if the skinny people are all hungry they'll gang up on you and run a fat person into the ground during the chase. :D

Reminds me of the two cannibals sitting around the camp fire eating...one says, "you know, I REALLY don't like my brother-in-law". To which the other says, "well, then just eat the vegetables!!":mug:

When I first started brewing, my friend Micheal developed a microbrew-belly. Up to that point he was rail thin (6'2"/170lb). Homebrew can pack a lot of Calories in a pint. Me, I've always been on the border of over-weight. One of the reasons I prefer to make small beers.
I know what you mean. I am very active (physical labor) and was still gaining. So last Feb. I quit drinking any alcoholic beverages and have lost 30 lb. When the brewery is set up again, it's going to be just CAP for me. :eek:

why not just take a shot of beer and savor the hell out of it. you could bottle your brew in those single serve shot bottles you get at the liquor store. youd only get about 20 calories out of each one.

Simple explanation:

When caloric intake is greater than calories burned: you get FATTER
When caloric intake is less than calories burned: you get THINNER

Burn more calories that you take in. If you drink a few beers the night before, go on a long bike ride or a good hike, or do a good sessions with some weights the next day. OR, replace all your fatty fast food meals and high fat meats with beer!

Eat healthier, drink more beer, ride a bike to work and back.

My desire to brew has given me a LOT of beer in the basement. With all that stock, I feel compelled to have a beer every day. At my age (40), I think it's making me fat. Maybe I'll stop eating to reserve more calories for beer.

You can homebrew all you want and it will add zero lbs. Now when you want to drink it, it does the same as any good craft beer will do to your waistline. So brew away;)

Exercise?!? Did I accidentally log into RichardSimmonsTalk.com? Come on, brewers!

Seriously, though, I exercise 3-4 times per week. I think that effort is keeping my girth in check. It's now a constant battle against (1) a slowing metabolism, and (2) genetics. I appreciate all the comments. Who'd think a "fat" post could generate so much chatter?

First, fat people dont run, we jiggle.
2nd if the damn Ice Cream truck would go faster, I might get more exercise.
I use a 1 liter mug, so in truth I get more exercise during drinking.
If only you could count the miles I walk to piss a dozen so times a day/night.

To believe that fat people are "unhealthy" & skinny people are "healthy" is a myth. I live to have a quality of life rather than quantity. What good is it to live to 110 if you exercise and eat rice cakes all day & still end up ****ing in an adult diaper in a nursing home being feed baby food?

:fro:

I'm going to live until tomorrow, at least (Hopefully). That's more than can be said for Bruce Lee...And he was extra fit!

It's also more than can be said for John Lennon, but Frankly, a few bullets in the body area is always gonna beat a good workout when it comes to becoming suddenly unfit.

To believe that fat people are "unhealthy" & skinny people are "healthy" is a myth. I live to have a quality of life rather than quantity. What good is it to live to 110 if you exercise and eat rice cakes all day & still end up ****ing in an adult diaper in a nursing home being feed baby food?

:fro:

I think it's more a matter of not being a sedentary self-indulgent American, than an issue of health. If you think that's a high "quality of life", you're probably way too far gone to be involved in this discussion anyway.

Back