Mexican "Mole' style" Icebox Cookies.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I mentioned yesterday I was going to bake these up while the blizzard fell. And all I can say is wow...very interesting blending of semi-sweet Mexican chocolate (kinda bitter with a hint of cinnamon) and cayenne pepper. It reminds me of my Chicken Mole recipe...

This recipe calls for Mexican Hot Chocolate pellets such as Ibarra or Abuelita. Krogers and Meijer's carry Abuelita brand (by Nestle) in their mexican section. Or they can be found in Mexican grocery stores.

51e-UjzgBOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I've never tried Ibarra but evidently the ibarra vs abuelita debate is as intense as the batch vs fly sparging argument.

Chocolate-Ibarra.jpg

both brands come in disk form.

abuelita_19oz_img.jpg

If you can’t find Mexican chocolate, you can approximate the flavor by using 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 9.5 onces coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate. Add the cinnamon to the dry ingredients.

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoon baking powder
* 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
* 1/4 cup whole milk
* 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 large egg, room temperature
* 9.5 ounces finely chopped Mexican chocolate, such as Ibarra (3 disks, or use the whole box which is 4 disks at 3.15 ounces each.)

1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cayenne, and salt in a medium mixing bowl to aerate the mixture and break up any lumps. Set aside.

2. Combine butter and sugar in bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add milk and vanilla and blend well. Scrape down bowl, add egg, and mix well. Reduce mixer to low, add flour mixture, and mix until just incorporated. Fold in chopped chocolate.

3. Turn dough onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape it into a log (approximately 12 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter), and wrap tight. Place in the refrigerator until firm, at least 1 hour but preferably 8 hours.

4. When ready to bake the cookies, heat oven to 350°F and arrange rack in the middle. Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and slice into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake until golden brown on the bottom, about 12 minutes.

icon_017.gif

I'm bumping this up, because I've pretty much polished them off and need to make another batch of these.

I figured this got lost in the weekend posting..

I haven't baked cookies in 20years. My wifes family is doing a desert competition this christmas so i've got a log of these chilling in the fridge to bake tomorrow.
I'll try to take some photos.

I haven't baked cookies in 20years. My wifes family is doing a desert competition this christmas so i've got a log of these chilling in the fridge to bake tomorrow.
I'll try to take some photos.

How did they turn out?

I just made a double recipe this weekend plus jacked up the cayenne a little bit more...and they are even better than the first batch.

I scaled backl on the cayenne (irish family). They were good, my MIL loved them and took about 20 home with her she calims she ate on a day and it was just enought to tame her sweet tooth.
I'm not sure if they came out right (i don't have a stand mixer, so i used a hand held power beater) after they were baked (golden brown on the bottom) they were about 4-5" diameter and about 1/4-3/8" thick. Crunchy all the way though.

I scaled backl on the cayenne (irish family). They were good, my MIL loved them and took about 20 home with her she calims she ate on a day and it was just enought to tame her sweet tooth.
I'm not sure if they came out right (i don't have a stand mixer, so i used a hand held power beater) after they were baked (golden brown on the bottom) they were about 4-5" diameter and about 1/4-3/8" thick. Crunchy all the way though.

I'm glad you and your family enjoyed them.

My oven's wonkey so I under baked them a bit, and they turned out like yours...perfectly crunchy all the way through.

They seem to be mellowing a bit over the last few days...They taste sipmply amazing..

Oh this time instead of grating the chocolate with a microplane, I just rough chopped it with a big knife (though most of it turned to powder anyway) but there are a lot of nice chunks in it as well...

OMG..can something become spicier with time? I just found a ziplock bag with about 1/2 dozen broken bits of these cookies from the last batch I made, back in January....They nigh on burned my tongue....I really dont recall them being this spicy when I was originally eating them..but these....either this is where all the spices ended up...or they got hotter in 6 months.

??????

Back