Five Star Ph Cloudiness, anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessface

Reaction score
I've been getting consistantly low efficieny on my partial mash kits as of late. This is partially due to the fact that I used a fine mesh bag for the mash and sparge portion. I also heard that I should use five star to ensure I have 5.0 for Ph.
For my last batch of pale ale, I used a proportional amount of five star for a 2.5 gallon mini mash. I added it to the spring water before I turned the heat on. While the water was heating up, it got very cloudy at about 140-150 degrees.....and stayed that way. I thought it would settle down, but it never did. Unfortunately, I poked and prodded the grain bag way too much and now I'm left with a very bitter, cloudy beer. The efficiency was much better, but it's not very drinkable
My hunch is that the cloudiness is mostly from squeezing the grain bag, but am afraid to try again until I get some answers. My next beer is a kit of either pumpkin ale or english bitter. I think I've narrowed down how to avoid the bitterness and get good efficiency, but can I expect that five star to cloud my brew? Has this happened to anyone else? Perhaps I should add it once the water is at 170? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I use the 5.2 buffer stuff from 5 star every time, unless I forget. It does cloud up the water a bit, but my beers come out absolutely clear once they have settled.

If you have high hardness water, then the cloudiness is likely due to a precipitate of calcium phosphate, since I believe the 5.2 is a phosphate based buffer. Add the 5.2 to the mash tun after mixing in the grain, and don't worry about the cloudiness, it won't carry through to the wort as mentioned by Ricand.

Aired Ale- If I'm reading your reply correctly, you suggest that once the water is at 170, add the stabilizer after I add the grains? I can do that. Thanks for your response.

That's what I did when I used 5.2. Get the water to the mash in temp in the mash tun, mix in the grain, add the 5.2 by sprinkling across the top of the mash, and still like heck for a few more minutes to mix it and completely even up your temp.

Latest posts

Back