First batch brewed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barthautala

Reaction score
Ok, I brewed my first batch of beer on Sunday the 27th. It was the Autumn Amber Ale kit from Midwest. The procedure was as follows.

Sanatized using One Step.
Steeped specialty grains for 25 mins at a steady 155F.
Pulled from heat and discarded grains. Stirred in LME and returned to heat.
Got up to a rolling boil and added Hallertau at first sign of boil.
Rolled the boil along at 225 F for 60 mins.
Added in Fuggle for last 5 mins.
Placed in "awesome cooling container" and got the temp down to 80 F in just under 15 mins.
Meanwhile, yeast was rehydrating per package instructions for 15 mins.
Hydrometer measured in at 1.042
MAde sure yeast was almost exact same temp as wort - pitched.

I noticed bubbles from the airlock about 4 hours in - this was about 8PM. At 7:30 AM the airlock bubbling along great. Got home from work at about 6PM and the wort was only bubbling about 3-4 times a minute. Around 8 PM - no bubbles at all.

Took hydrometer reading - 1.020. Waited for quite awhile - until 7PM today. Took another hydro reading - it was at 1.014. Transferred to secondary at this point.

Check out the pics! Is the beer supposed to be this color? It smells AWESOME!

FYI, this is my first real batch but in my head Ive already opened a full scale brewery. Please share your thoughts!

Steeping9-27-09.jpg

TheBoil9-27-09.jpg

TheCoolOff9-27-09.jpg

TransferedtoSecondary10-1-09.jpg

Airlock activity in four hours with no starter is pretty great. Don't be alarmed next batch when it takes 10 times as long to really get going.

Airlock activity in four hours with no starter is pretty great. Don't be alarmed next batch when it takes 10 times as long to really get going.

Thats what I kept hearing and readin - that it would take up to 48 hours. The quick attenuation is partl the reason why I transfered to the secondary farily soon.

Man, the trub is pretty gross looking. I didnt know what to expect. One thing is for certain though, the uncarbonated non-aged beer already taste pretty good. Cant....wait......for......the.......finished......product.

Back