Oversparged...whoops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff_2506

Reaction score
First brewday with my new equipment today. I was excited that my efficiency didn't suffer, and things went nice and smooth...I was so proud watching it all work. OOps, gauking at my new brew set up I didn't pay attention to sparge volume. When I realized it, I took a reading of my runnings...it was running at 1.004 :eek: Well...I hope I didn't extract TOO much tannins etc. My OG was also higher than planned because of this lol. Target was 1.055..rung in at 1.064. Oh well, I WONT do that again.

AND I also lost my irish moss. Oh well. I'll definitely be using gelatin to fine it, and hope to lower any astringency I may have picked up from oversparging.

Definitely sparging a bit more than you need to, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. No irish moss isn't a particular worry, either.

Yeah I'm not worried about the irish moss much. The oversparging, I'm just hoping it's not too astringent and that the gelatin will help remove some of that if there is. In addition, the gelatin will help clear the beer.

Back