New Wort Chiller ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wzup97

Reaction score
Moving to all grain. Made a immersion wort chiller out of a 30 foot peice of half inch copper. Is there some type of cleaning or priming of the chiller I should do before I dunk it into it's first wort?

I also built a mash tun out of a cooler with brass parts inside. Does that need to be primed before it's first use?

I thought I read the use of vinegar but I can't seem to find where I read that.

I use vinegar on the copper of my CFC if it has been sitting around unused for a long time in order to remove any oxidation and corrosion buildup inside the tubing. I know many will say it is not necessary, but I have seen the green crap I flush out and don't really want that in my beer.... :drunk:

with an immersion chiller, you really only need to worry about the outside. Vinegar will do the job as well a few other cleaner/sanitzers. I use PBW and Starsan. I sanitive before I put it into my boil. It is overkill, but it puts my mind at ease.

Back