Totally noobbbbbbbb thinking out loud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sir_veja

Reaction score
hello guys, I was talking to my friends , around some cases of homebrew, and was
wondering if I can do a second fermetation of a stout kit with chocolate or something
to give it some extra flavor.

My plan?

ferment like the kit recepie
put in another fermenter with some chocolate ( how much = no idea yet )
after some time ( again no idea ) keg it...

what do you think about this? Or do you have some sugestions?

Cheers
Vasco

I never before brew from grain I am a newbie
just starting from kits , those from brewferm.

And I was wondering how could I change those kits
@ fermentation stage

You can also use about 3/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder (the baking stuff, like Ghirardelli) in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

I made a Chocolate Porter using a 1/4 lb of chocolate malt and the above mentioned cocoa powder addition. The porter is not finished with bottle conditioning but I sampled a bottle after one week and it a nice subtle chocolate after taste that went great with the porter.

Interestingly enough when I racked from Primary to Secondary, the primary had a rich chocolate smell, that was reminiscent of chocolate cookie dough.

coffee is an option for your stout: I brewed a stout a few weeks ago that I wanted to give a multistep flavour to. So I brewed a pot of coffee on the day I racked to secondary. I poured a tall cup and let it sit and cool. Coffee beans have a lot of oil, so I used a turkey baster to get the oil off the top of the cup and poured it into the fermenter. On last taste, it gave the stout a surprisingly strong coffee flavour that pops up shortly after I swallow. It only took about one and a half measuring cups worth to flavour the beer a lot, so be careful.

shafferpilot said:
coffee is an option for your stout: I brewed a stout a few weeks ago that I wanted to give a multistep flavour to. So I brewed a pot of coffee on the day I racked to secondary. I poured a tall cup and let it sit and cool. Coffee beans have a lot of oil, so I used a turkey baster to get the oil off the top of the cup and poured it into the fermenter. On last taste, it gave the stout a surprisingly strong coffee flavour that pops up shortly after I swallow. It only took about one and a half measuring cups worth to flavour the beer a lot, so be careful.

I was thinking of doing a "Mocha-Stout" for my next batch, I was going to do a standard stout recipe with a cocoa addition and add lactose for sweetness and some coffee to the secondary. I personally think it sounds pretty tasty.

I just drank a Sam Adams Cream Stout today. If you can find one, give it a try! It has a definite coffee/chocolate flavor to it. I'll report back when my stout is done (about another month i think).

Latest posts

Back