Help with Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenster

Reaction score
I have made altbier once before and SWMBO would like some more. I was happy with everything but the alcohol content, which only came out at around 3%.

Based on the following recipe, can anyone suggest a good way to get the ethanol up a bit without affecting the body or taste too much? More LMW in equal volumes?

4lb pale LME
4lb amber LME
0.5lb crystal malt
0.25lb choc. malt
2oz hallertauer
2oz tettnager
0.5oz saaz for dry hopping
WYeast #1338

That recipe should give you an og of 1.058, according to Beersmith. And I would guess a final gravity of 1.017 based on an attenuation of 69% (average for that yeast).

That would give you a ABV content of approx. 5.3 %. That's pretty much inline for an Altbier, I think, maybe even a bit high.

Hey Fenster,

I think Abv is going to be a product of how much fermentable sugar you have in the wort you are brewing and this can be easily derived by hydrometer readings. I would think that with 8# of LME, you would have had a higher OG,FG, and ABV.

If you did not take an FG when you bottled then you have no idea as to the ABV of your brew.

Take readings and then you will know.

BTW most of the OG ratings I've seen on LME recipes/kits have been a bit liberal. you may need to adjust to reach the OG they specify.

Regards,
Al

Back