Clean Clean Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
What do you guys/gals think is the cleanest yeast around?

A buddy who's interested in brewing is going to brew with me on May 5. He had the idea to clone Sprecher Special Amber Lager. I've got a recipe, but can't lager. I told him I can't lager and he's liked all my brews, so he's fine with it not being dead nuts. What yeast should I use? I'll be fermenting in the mid-upper 60sF.

American Ale 1056?

European Ale 1338?

Nottingham?

I think any of those might work well, but hard to say which is best. I also thought about Steam yeast, but I never have used it and think my temps might be a couple degrees too high for it.

Thanks!

At your temp range, I'd say 1056.

Nottingham is a clean (neutral) yeast by English yeast standards, but not as neutral as 1056.

Cali lager is excellent for lager-like results at higher temps, but I agree that your temps are a little high for that--you really need to keep around 60 to get lager-like results with that yeast, in my experience.

BTW, Safale US 05 (formerly US 56) is an excellent dried version of the chico strain (1056, WLP001).

cweston said:
BTW, Safale US 05 (formerly US 56) is an excellent dried version of the chico strain (1056, WLP001).

I think that's what I'll go for, save a couple of bucks in the process. I have used 1056 a number of times, but never the dried equivilent, but a lot of people on here do with great success. My very first batch was fermented with Nottingham, I'd like to use it again on a beer, I think I might try it on an All Cascade Pale Ale I brew up later this summer.

uwmgdman said:
I think that's what I'll go for, save a couple of bucks in the process. I have used 1056 a number of times, but never the dried equivilent, but a lot of people on here do with great success. My very first batch was fermented with Nottingham, I'd like to use it again on a beer, I think I might try it on an All Cascade Pale Ale I brew up later this summer.

I've had excellent results from Safale's yeasts--I do prefer liquid, but I've got plenty of Safale backups in case. I wouldn't hesitate to use them at all, they make awesome beer. :D

WL California Ale Yeast. (basically the same as others posted already)

From www.whitelabs.com

"WLP001 California Ale Yeast
This yeast is famous for its clean flavors, balance and ability to be used in almost any style ale. It accentuates the hop flavors and is extremely versatile.
Attenuation: 73-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
Alcohol Tolerance: High "

Back