Moving to 10g Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I am moving to 10g batches and using 2 carboys. Do I need to:

1. Buy 2 yeast packs

2. Pour half my starter in each carboy

3. Make my starter and then increase it (make it bigger - I forget what that's called)

Thanks!

1. Buy 2 yeast packs

3. Make my starter and then increase it (make it bigger - I forget what that's called)

Thanks!
Well since you're making 10 gallons, why not pitch 2 different yeasts to make 2 different beers? Once you split the batch, you can lager half, dry hop the other half and pitch an ale yeast and turn out a lager and an APA from the same batch. Or boil an hour, drain off 5 gallons, add some steeping grains to the rest and re boil to turn out an ESB and a porter? Do #3 then #2 and experiment with fermentation temps or dry hopping?

1. Buy 2 yeast packs

Thanks!

I would go with number 1 personally ........

Either 2 or 3 would work. You may be underpitching slightly depending on the size of your starter and gravity of your beer.

You could pitch 1 dry yeast in 5 gallons and then your liquid yeast w/ starter in the other 5 gallons...... This would be cool and you would be able to get an idea which yeast you like or if you can even tell the difference between the two different yeasts.

1. Buy 2 yeast packs

Thanks!

I would split the batch too. However, i would compare different yeast strains to and start a yeast collection of the ones i really like. either way your in a good spot with having 10 gallons. I would only have to brew every other weekend.

Back