Homemade Yeast Starter Container......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homeslice

Reaction score
Ok so my Belgium Dubbel extract kit recommends that I make a yeast starter of approx. 2 pints. I've got the white labs liquid yeast. One problem:The closest beer supply store is an hour away and I'm looking in the cubbards for a something to store the yeast starter overnight. What household items have you used to seal your yeast starter?

I usually use a gallon glass jug for bigger starters, or a growler for smaller ones. Even a one quart mason jar (covered with sanitized foil) will work for a small starter. Any glass container that you can sanitize will work, even a wine bottle.

Any glass or strong plastic container will work that you can sanitize...I've seen all sorts.

These are some from the web....

starter.jpg

finishstart.jpg

starter.jpg

10-yeast-starter.jpg

I've used a large spaghetti sauce jar before...It worked great on my stirplate when I didn't want to use my large flask for a small amount of harvesting yeast.

Basically anything will work for you as long as it is sanitized.

One thing, using an airclock on a starter is no longer recommended practice....just a piece of sanitized foil on top is all you need, since you actually WANT oxygen in there, and an airloxk is meant to keep air out of it...

Before getting a flask, I used an empty, cleaned and sanitized, apple juice bottle from an apfelwein batch, covered with sanitized aluminum foil.

Back