filtering method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
does anyone filter their beer from fermentor into bottling bucket? i tried a small piece of muslin bag first on the end of the cane and then on the end of the siphon tube. both resulted in a stuck siphon and it looked to be introducing some air into the beer:(. i am only trying to keep some of the small floating pieces of grain and such out of my bottling bucket because the last couple bottles in the batch seem to have floaties. thanks

i would highly highly reccomend getting an auto-siphon they are cheap and are built so that no particles get through the siphon, and if they do they will settle on the bottom of the bottle and not be a problem in the long run.

I ferment in the usualy buckets with a spigot on the side. Before bottling I quickly open the spigot all the way and draw off about 8oz to clear trub from the spigot. I use this sample for testing my final gravity so it does not go to waste and after letting the sample sit for 10-15 minutes go ahead and drink the beer (it is a sin to waste home brew). Then I drain into my bottling bucket. After purging the spigot I get very little trub into the bottling bucket. Then I let the bottling bucket sit still while I sanitize my bottles and during that time whatever trub made it through has settled to the bottom and all my bottles come out trub free from the first to the last (unless you tip the bucket to squeeze the last bottle out of a batch in which case you should write a "T" on the cap).

you never end up with a stuck siphon david? i had one layer of muslin over the bucket end and it wasnt flowing for ****

All of my fermenters have spigots. Find a fine mesh tea ball and poke a hole in one side for the siphon.

Back