Hexavalent Chromium risks working with sanke kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryodom

Reaction score
I'm hoping we have some experienced folks here who could shed some light on this for me. I'm a software developer who started working in the petrochem industry and they started sending me out to various plants which led to about 30 hours of safety training. Apparently you're at risk to be exposed to hexavalent chromium if you weld or grind stainless steel.(causes cancer) I get home this week to look at the anheuser busch kegs I'm planning on cutting holes in and I wonder.

I've looked around on Google but can't find anything other than general descriptions of stainless material and that some types of stainless will produce this type of chromium. So if anyone has any insight on this it'd be much appreciated. :rockin:

If you aren't welding/grinding for a living, just wear a dust mask. Heavy metal exposure can be a problem, but doing a couple kegs, you are more likely to break your foot than anything else.

It has been so long since I heard the warning about "Mustard Gas" being given off during the welding and cutting of SS that I'd forgot about it. You aren't going to be exposed to enough of anything making a keggle to die from it. Well unless you expose a major artery to a cutting tool.

Well I do have a particle mask so I'll go that way with good ventilation. Better safe than sorry.

It'll freak you out to hear about risks of something you're planning to do over the weekend especially when you've never heard it before. I've worked on vehicles doing welding, cutting, etc but never stainless steel. Makes me wonder what else I've exposed myself to.

Safety training will make you paranoid but I guess that's the point of it.

Back