problem adding fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevkev5

Reaction score
yesterday i was planning on racking to secondary and adding frozen mixed berries to my wheat beer kit. did not go as planned, bag had a few holes in it so i decided to blanch berries for 15 minutes to be safe. so i filled up a grain bag and got water up to 155' at this point i figured it would be a nightmare trying to get these berries into the secondary because i wanted to keep it in the grain bag with marbles to keep it at the bottom of the carboy. i decided to just throw them in the primary. its already been in primary for 2 weeks so now im havin second thoughts on whether i should:

A- keep it in the primary for another couple weeks then secondary for another couple after that

B- should i xfer it to secondary and either just throw the berries in without the bag and let them float

c- or buy puree and rack to secondarys

even if i rack to secondary now and add fruit or puree. will i eventually need to rack to another carboy to let it all settle out anyways before kegging?

Keep them in the primary for two weeks. By then the beer should be clear enough to keg directly.

Never put berries in loose unless you have some way of filtering before kegging or have a filter in the keg.

Back