2nd AG Brew Day Lessons learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Champurrado

Reaction score
Brewed Centennial per Mr. Bier Muncher's recipe today. Thanks to all who contributed their wisdom regarding strike temperatures, mashing schedules, sparge styles and pre-boil volume calculations. Thanks especially to Mr. Pol for his suggestion that the temperature of the water coming out of the kettle should be hotter than the temperature of the water you want in your pre-heated MLT.

I hit all the temperatures, finished with an Original gravity of 1.046 when the recipe calls for 1.044 and generally enjoyed the whole process. Used Irish Moss for the first time and gawd - what is all that stuff left over in the bottom of the brew kettle?!?

Final volume going into the carboy was a bit short of 5 gallons but I'm not going to sweat it.

Boiling on an outdoor propane burner was a new experience and I now know why I should have been using this method from the start. Brought my Wort to a rolling boil in about 18 minutes. I actually had my first boilover! I saw it coming and couldn't adjust down the burner before it blew. I lost about a pint to a quart I estimate.

All in all a good brew day. I have two cases of Edwort's Haus Ale bottle conditioning and a batch of centennial fermenting in a carboy in the basement.

Life is good.

Good work. AG is the way to go.

Brewed Centennial per Mr. Bier Muncher's recipe today. Thanks to all who contributed their wisdom regarding strike temperatures, mashing schedules, sparge styles and pre-boil volume calculations. Thanks especially to Mr. Pol for his suggestion that the temperature of the water coming out of the kettle should be hotter than the temperature of the water you want in your pre-heated MLT.

I hit all the temperatures, finished with an Original gravity of 1.046 when the recipe calls for 1.044 and generally enjoyed the whole process. Used Irish Moss for the first time and gawd - what is all that stuff left over in the bottom of the brew kettle?!?

Final volume going into the carboy was a bit short of 5 gallons but I'm not going to sweat it.

Boiling on an outdoor propane burner was a new experience and I now know why I should have been using this method from the start. Brought my Wort to a rolling boil in about 18 minutes. I actually had my first boilover! I saw it coming and couldn't adjust down the burner before it blew. I lost about a pint to a quart I estimate.

All in all a good brew day. I have two cases of Edwort's Haus Ale bottle conditioning and a batch of centennial fermenting in a carboy in the basement.

Life is good.

Thanks Mr. Piranesie, but, really, what was all that stuff at the bottom of my brew kettle. Is that what happens when you throw in just a teaspoon of irish moss. That stuff is not supposed to go into the fermenter, right? Right?

It help coagulate the proteins in the wort so you get a nice hot break and cold break if you cool well. This is why it help keep your beer clearer. The stuff in your kettle is the hotbreak and cold break materials.

Most people say to wrack off of that so that you do not get that in your fermentation because it can cause off flavors but a lot of brewers just add it and have no problems

Mr. Brewjunky

Thanks for the reply. I guess the bayou classic burner is providing me with a real hot break.

Latest posts

Back