Windfall!! What should I do with my "extra" stainless kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

Reaction score
Hello brewers!

New guy here. Have been out of homebrewing for 7 years but am starting up again and almost have all my equip in line to start doing 10gal batches.

Here's my question:

I have an extra (long story, but it was free :ban:) 60qt stainless kettle (one like these: Update International 60 Qt. Stainless Steel Pot with Sandwich Bottom - UPI-SPS-60 - SPS-60 at Wares Direct) and don't know what to do with it.

My options are:

1) Direct fired mash tun
2) HLT
3) Sell it.

I'm going to be insulating my boil kettle anyway, so insulating a second pot would be no problem. I'm leaning toward option #2 as that would be the most practical. However, I like the potential flexibility offered by #1...but, honestly, I've got enough toys and I could use the $$ (hence option #3)...ah, decisions...

So let me have it. Gimme the answer :D

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-David

2) HLT

I'm going to be insulating my boil kettle anyway, so insulating a second pot would be no problem. I'm leaning toward option #2 as that would be the most practical. However, I like the potential flexibility offered by #1...but, honestly, I've got enough toys and I could use the $$ (hence option #3)...ah, decisions...

I'd go HLT as well. When I last upgraded my kettle, I added a sightglass, ball valve and thermometer to my old turkey-fryer. Mashing in and sparging are a joy now, no more awkward measuring and struggling to pour from a giant pot of hot water. Just turn the valve, and watch the sightglass!

Are you an AG brewer of an extract brewer? If AG I would go for the HLT. You just can’t brew w/ out one IMO. If an extract brewer I would recommend holding on to it till you go AG (you will go AG) and then make a (maybe an electric) HLT out of it. But w/ the price of stainless these days, either way I would hold onto it.
JJ

Thanks for the perspectives.

Still not sure that I shouldn't task my current mash tun (10gal cooler) as a HLT and use the kettle as a mash tun. The direct fire option would be nice, as would the ability to do high gravity 10gal batches without running out of room...the only problem is that I'm concerned that the geometry of the kettle (relatively broad and shallow) would not make for a good MT...

I guess I could make manifold for the kettle and swap between kettle and cooler mash tuns depending on grain bill? Hmm, I might do that!

Sorry for thinking out loud. I've always brewed via gravity/siphon and I finally got a pump--I guess the number of possibilities that it opens up is still new to me ;)

HLT. I'm going to buy another kettle and burner so I can turn my current BK into an HLT. I'm tired of running inside to grab boiling hot water off the stove and trying not to scald myself or the dog carrying it outside.

ExMachina, thanks for the idea. I just got a turkey fryer for my last batch (first all-grain), and now have a small (only 3-4 gallon) SS Kettle. I didn't think I had much of a use for it, but now I think I'm going to drill a hole and turn it into a HLT for sparging. It will definitely be much easier than pouring pitchers of hot water on it.

ExMachina, thanks for the idea. I just got a turkey fryer for my last batch (first all-grain), and now have a small (only 3-4 gallon) SS Kettle. I didn't think I had much of a use for it, but now I think I'm going to drill a hole and turn it into a HLT for sparging. It will definitely be much easier than pouring pitchers of hot water on it.

It's a little skimpy for an HLT, but certainly better than the pitchers of hot water routine!

With Thanksgiving around the corner, expect to see turkey fryer rigs selling for dirt cheap. Last year I saw them for as little as $25...pretty cheap way to get a 7-8 gallon "HLT" and a secondary burner as well. Here is my low-budget conversion, it sure makes mashing in and sparging a breeze. Each mark on the sightglass is a gallon.

mlt3.jpg

Latest posts

Back