Georgia roll call

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironhead

Reaction score
So how many of you are there and where exactly from? I'm in Greensboro which is half way between Atlanta and Augusta, on Lake Oconee. And do any of you also ride.

Rich

Edit: added picture
Riding_the_Dragon_original.jpg

I'm halfway between Stockbridge and I-20 on 138. Whenever I can but have never gone more than 800 miles in a day(on the bike).

Bike & Me.jpg

Gnome

Not sure I could do an 800 mile day either, but then again I'm on a stripped down '77 sporty with apes. Sounds like you're not to far from Mike's Cycle Shop. Ever get over there?

Rich

Haven't been here long, Where's Mike's? Always need a shop. I've had a few long runs. Left Sturgis on a Thur. morning was in bed with the ol' Lady in PH. Fri. night, 1300 miles, nice put. I've made Ph. to Raleigh in 41.5 hrs, in the F250. I used to have a 77 Super Glide.

Gnome said:
Where's Mike's?

http://www.mikescycleshop.com/

138 to 155 south, left on east lake rd. There's a mapquest map in the "Contact" button on the home page.

Mike and Lynn are an indi shop working out of thier 2-wide, 2-car-deep garage shop. He's always got a bike on both of his lifts with more in the que. Wonderfull people with outstanding customer loyalty. I still make the 1.5 hour ride from time to time. Tell them "Erin's Dad" sent you.

Rich

Lilburn Georgia, near Stone Mountain... about 5 miles east of Beerific

well, I am actually in Michigan, however, my brother is in Albany, which is South West of Atlanta about 3 hours :mug: and north of Talahassee about 2 hours...

Allright, now I'm mad. Two guys that live 2 miles away from each other that brew AND ride AND 15 min from my favorite shop. I just live tooooooo far away.

Hey John,
just browsed your site, nice. In reguards to the slogan, it doesn't get any better than the one you've got printed on the lable allready. Nice job

Rich

Ironhead said:
Allright, now I'm mad. Two guys that live 2 miles away from each other that brew AND ride AND 15 min from my favorite shop. I just live tooooooo far away.

Hey John,
just browsed your site, nice. In reguards to the slogan, it doesn't get any better than the one you've got printed on the lable allready. Nice job

Rich
But we haven't met yet, like yourself Gnome is new to the site and we are trying to find a time when we can hook up and meet...

mrk305 said:
Lilburn Georgia, near Stone Mountain... about 5 miles east of Beerific

I'm in Fayetteville now. I use to live in Lilburn (across from Lowes), and before that Stone Mountain. At one time, there was an LHBS where Lowes sits now.

C'mon guys, there's got to be more than 6 of us here. Or do most people just not check out the forums you have to scroll down to see?

Rich

I'm in Covington about halfway between Atlanta and Greensboro. I christened my boat, after 5 years of building it, on Lake Oconee and sail there sometimes. If you see a classic looking sailboat on the lake it's probably me.
We should get together and drink beer sometime

2-mcneal-5.jpg

Keith

The LHBS on Indian Trail near I 29 in Lilburn is the same one that used to be on Hwy78 where the Lowe's is now. When Lowe's bought the propterty they moved. They got me started with a kit last April and now I go there just about every week.

Checking in from Cartersville, GA. Only brewed one thing so far (Apfelwein) but that will be changing soon!

Neal

gaffrig24 said:
We should get together and drink beer sometime
Keith

I agree. Also, where do you like to launch from. I'm just around the corner from the GA Power park on Parks Mill. Parks Ferry I think it is. Let me know the next time you put in. I wouldn't mind seeing her sail.

I'm familliar with Covington, what area?

Rich

Hi Rich, I usually put in at Old Salem or that gated community before you get to Publix on the right. I don't remember the name of it right :drunk: now but they have a launch ramp that used to be open to the public but the last time I was there there was a members only sign up. I launched anyway and talked to the manager of the place and he said to come by anytime. I think the sixpack of homebrew I gave him bought me a membership. I did try to launch from parks mill once but after driving all the way out there they were closed for the season. When it warms up a bit you're welcome to join me for a sail.
I'm just of I-20 at the Almon Rd exit, I have a huge kegerator that I just got going and a front porch that is just right for drinking and brewing beer. It may be a good central location to meet up with the others in the area and share a few, again when it warms up.

Keith

Ironhead said:
So how many of you are there and where exactly from? I'm in Greensboro which is half way between Atlanta and Augusta, on Lake Oconee. And do any of you also ride.

Rich

Love Greensboro! Redlands Wildlife Management area used to be my stomping ground during deer season!

Im from Rex, Ga but live in Colorado now.

BTW, I almost died skiing on lake Oconee. Its really shallow!

kevinrmclean said:
Brunswick Ga here. Way down along the coast.

Another from South Georgia here in Brunswick. Anyone else or anything going on in the area?

What is the best LHBS in the area? Probably Savannah or Jacksonville?

gaffrig24 said:
Hi Rich, I usually put in at Old Salem or that gated community before you get to Publix on the right.

That would have to be what used to be called Port Armor. It has since been taken over by Rhynolds and is now called Rhynolds Landing. Good luck trying to get back in there again.

gaffrig24 said:
When it warms up a bit you're welcome to join me for a sail.

We will deffinatly talk about that later.

gaffrig24 said:
It may be a good central location to meet up with the others in the area and share a few, again when it warms up.

You read my mind. Less than an hour drive for most who have responded here. We should start thinking about dates.

Rich

Thirdeye said:
Its really shallow!

You should have seen it here recently. With the drout and all, I think it got down to about 7 ft below full pool. It's back to full pool now but for a while, entire coves were dry. Quite a few boats were beached and still moored to their docks.

Rich

Port Armor, that's the place. I was there back in November for a sail. They just waved me through the gate without any problem. I had a flat on the trailer and had to leave the boat there overnight. When I came back the next day I still had no problem getting in even without the boat in tow. I talked to Ed at the marina and he told me to have the security call him if they have any problems letting me in on future visits. It's a great launch ramp with a dock that parallels the ramp. I can tie up at the dock and almost drive the trailer under the boat. I sure hope I can still get in later. Mine is a rare design these days and folks love to see it, so maybe they'll let me in. A friend of mine with a similar design got pulled over by a sheriff with blue lights flashing, he just wanted to take a look at the boat. Here's a great shot of her at Lake Nickajack in TN, what a great weekend that was.

Keith

1130web.jpg

I met Gaffrig at the HBS in Lilburn today. I was in there picking up some grains and stuff, and the store was pretty busy. We were talking about what we were making and he asked me if i ever used HBT. I told him I was Mrk305 and what my avatar looked like, and he told me he was the one in Covington with the sailboat.

We were talking about a get-together at his place (drink/brew?) but with a boat like that, lets meet at the lake!

Brewing out of Kennesaw Ga. for 3 years now, and yes I ride too. However I am not old yet and have not retired so I ride a little faster. (Just kiddin old man):tank:

On a serious note, I can't wait to get me a cruiser, I have a great time on the rocket but boy do I love to cruise. The wife loves it too. (she hate the sportbike)

BTW I brew 2 -3 times a month (my brother an I) so if anyone needs company or a place to drink beer and get their aZZ wooped on some ping pong...let me know.

out.php

It was nice to meet you at the LHBS mrk305. Me and some of the guys are meeting up at Hart State park on the weekend of the 19th for some sailing and drinking. I've got a group of boatbuilders coming up with their boats to see the now canceled antique boatshow. Without the show it will leave more time for sailing. We get together several times a year to swap stories, show off our boats, sail and drink. What could be better? If anyone in the area wants to join us come on up, OK lets not be stupid...bring some beer and come on up. We'll be there all weekend camping at the park and sailing around the lake. We are also planning a Maritime festival up there on June 21 with activities for kids to do. We'll have model boats to build, a cardboard boat race, a pirate battle with cannons and whatever else we can come up with. This will be our 3rd year doing it and hopefully it will be our biggest to date. We may even get Roger from the LHBS to do a brewing class. If you want to join us make a reservation at the park for a campsite soon or just come up for the day, and bring your kids if you got em.

Now if you brewers just want to get together for a brew day or drinking lets set a date and I'd be more than happy to host whatever we come up with. I'm about in the middle of most of the brewers here and I've got a giant kegerator just waiting to be over used. I'm using pinlocks on my lines now and a sanke but if you bring a ball lock and the gas and liquid connectors with you I've got a knife that will cut through any hose, I'll get your beer flowing. Let's get together and share some beer, and maybe even brew up a batch.

Keith

Since I missed the last G2G, I'm deffinately up for the next one, but I still have a heavy schedule. Between the Georgia Force games and me trying to get the bike back together after a major overhall, not to mention getting a treehouse and sandbox built for the kids, I'm pretty busy. Keep me posted on possible dates.

Rich

I am not sure about the 19th ( gotta check the work shedule ) but it sounds great to me!! I don't know that park, but I am ready for some camping, cooking , eating, sailing and drinking!!

Another from South Georgia here in Brunswick. Anyone else or anything going on in the area?

What is the best LHBS in the area? Probably Savannah or Jacksonville?

There is a LHBS here in Savannah. The guy is opened most days for a few hours and weekends from like 12-4. You can find his address in BYO or google Savannah Home Brew Store. In JAX they have a pretty nice brewstore called Just Brew It.

Back