Sanitation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnthebrewer

Reaction score
I made about 3 Gallons of Easy Clean-No Rinse Sanitizer when I brewed a week ago. Now it's time to switch to my secondary fermenter and I have to sanitize more stuff. My question is, is that sanitation solution still good or do I have to throw it out and make more. It's been in a covered container for the last week.

JB

the info I find says Easy Clean is a cleanser. Cleansers are NOT sanitizers.

maybe my info is wrong, but i've never heard of easy clean until your post...I suspect its not a full sanitizer, and thus I wouldn't use it to sanitize again.

Star-san is a great sanitizer, cheap, and will last months if you use RO water to make your solution (or if you have nice soft, low pH tap water that works great too)

Here's waht I found on the stuff:
Easy Clean- One pound package. No rinse cleaner/sanitizer. Similar to One-Step but 4% stronger. Oxygen based sanitizer. Dissolve one tablespoon powder to one gallon warm water. Wash surfaces with solution. Rinsing is not required but is recommended.

IIRC, oxygen based sanitizers degrade fairly rapidly. I think 2 hrs. is about the limit for efficacy.

IMO, the two best sanitizer options are starsan and iodophor. You can't really go wrong with either and they both store very well when properly made.

Also, the sanitizing water needs to only touch the area to sanitize it, so one gallon can take care of all the equipment at any given point of the brew process.

No need to make 3 gallons and keep it, just do one gallon at a time for the brewday, secondary transfer, and bottling.

Back