Cooper's Draught Beer Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
When I started homebrewing, one of the things I decided to do was get most all of the regular Cooper's brewing kits and try them out one by one. I put in my two cents about the Mexican Cerveca kit in another thread, but I haven't seen any discussion review of Cooper's Draught so I thought I would give this review in case anyone is considering getting a can kit to start out with.

I made this kit a couple months ago and just got around to drinking some of it last night.

I made the kit with the recommended Cooper's brewing sugar, and let it ferment for 2 weeks in the primary and 2 weeks in the secondary. Bottled it and let it sit for almost 7 weeks before drinking.

The result ?

Well the beer is good enough, its basically a clone of Miller Genuine Draft. If you and your buddies drink regular BMC type beer, you'd probably like it good enough. Its funny, but the beer turned out almost exactly like I had hoped it would when I was making it, but in the time since I've been making and drinking my own beers, my tastes have changed enough that drinking a beer like this is good, but not exactly impressive or anything to get excited about.

I bet if I opened a can of MGD and opened a can of this beer and poured them both side by side you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That might be good or bad depending on your point of view.

I don't really think I'd bother trying to make this kit again though, but if you're looking to make a clone of beer from the store - give this kit a try. If you're looking for a really great beer that will be better than that - maybe keep looking.

using corn sugar for half your fermentables often does give it that BMC mouthfeel (or lack of mouthfeel as it were).

I've not been a fan of any Cooper's kit. Cheap yeast, pre-hopped extract, they encourage corn sugar for primary fermentation...
Sure its beer, but its at the bottom of the totem pole in my book.

Yeah I don't think it would ever occur to me to make another batch of this kit. But on the other hand I remember when I first started making my own beer and posting here one of the things I was after was making beer that tastes like beer from the can. Seems like from reading the posts I'm not the only one who wanted to make a regular BMC kind of beer. If thats what you're after, Cooper's draught will get that for you. The only bad news is, what you end up with is not really any better than what you'd get if you just picked up a couple cases of MGD in the first place.

One the one hand I'd consider it a success cause I made the beer I set out to make and it tastes pretty good. On the other hand, I've grown to appreciate better beer so making homemade Miller Genuine Draft is a bit of a hollow victory.

FishinDave07 said:
are there any decent Munton's extract kits out there?

I made the Munton's Premium Lager kit a couple of times and enjoyed it very much. I would definitely continue to make it again. First time I made it with rice syrup solids because I was told that is what Budweiser is made with. Well it didn't turn out like Budweiser, but it did turn out almost exactly like Yuengling's Lager. It had a bit of a twang to it tastewise untill I let it sit in the bottle for 4-5 weeks, after that it was very tasty.

I made the Cooper's Lager kit a couple of times as well, but I think the Munton's tastes considerably better.

I've been toying with the idea of making a batch with two cans instead of with one can and extra fermentables. Maybe try a can of Munton's Lager and a Can of Cooper's Lager at the same time ? I bet it would be pretty good because both Cooper's and Munton's make a great Lager kit - it turns out much better than the disappointing Cooper's Draught kit that I made.

If nothing else, it doesn't cost a lot to try and the kits are nice and easy.

I have not tried the Munton's Ale. I've cooked the Cooper's Ale, but I haven't tasted it yet. In a week or two when I've finished drinking the batches I'm drinking on now I will post and report/review on the Cooper's Real Ale.

Mutilated1 said:
I have not tried the Munton's Ale. I've cooked the Cooper's Ale, but I haven't tasted it yet. In a week or two when I've finished drinking the batches I'm drinking on now I will post and report/review on the Cooper's Real Ale.

Looking forward to the report.

Cheers! :mug:

I just bottled some coopers real ale today - I made it with an add-a-beer from the local brewstore (basically a 3 pound container with liquid malt extract on top and some liquid glucose on the bottom).

It turned out pretty dark - I had a taste from the sample i took for the FG. It is was urprisingly light tasting a very nice flavor to it. OG was 1041 FG 1008. Ill let you guys know how it is after I open it in a few weeks.

grasshopper1917 said:
I just bottled some coopers real ale today - I made it with an add-a-beer from the local brewstore (basically a 3 pound container with liquid malt extract on top and some liquid glucose on the bottom).

It turned out pretty dark - I had a taste from the sample i took for the FG. It is was urprisingly light tasting a very nice flavor to it. OG was 1041 FG 1008. Ill let you guys know how it is after I open it in a few weeks.

Definately let us know.

I'm new to homebrewing. I started a few months ago and have made all my brews to date from the Coopers kits (hopped extracts). The first few I made according to instructions, adding brewing sugar. Being primarily a drinker of Coopers ales (the commercial bottled and kegged stuff that is), I'm not used to beer with adjuncts in it, and didn't much like the results. I've taken to using two kits at a time made up to 20-23 litres, and it makes a big difference. We're still not talking amazing beer here, but it has a much better body and mouthfeel (and, to me, taste) than the stuff I brewed with sugar, a bit like a cross between Carlsberg's Elephant and a full-on IPA.

Still, I'm reaching the limit of what I can do with no-boil kits, so I'm looking forward to making some all grain brews (hopefully with lots of good advice from the forum members :D

So how did this brew Turn out?

I can't see how the OS draught turns out like a lager with ale yeast? MGD? IDK..of course,I've got one more thing to pick up before I tweak that one like I did with the OS lager. But yeah two can (or toucan as the Aussies call them) are way better. Add two ounces of some appropriate hops & they're even better.

You finally decided to take my advice and come visit. And it looks like you picked up another hydrometer. How did you put it, "It had a disagreement with the floor".

I would say the attenuation with using the add-a-beer comes out pretty good. Not as dry as using a 1kg of sugar but not as sweet as using all malt.

What does the OS mean?

Original Series. Coopers has a Traditional Draught and Heritage Lager but that would be their Premium Selection. OS would be another way of qualifying which Draught or Lager is being referenced.

Still, I'm reaching the limit of what I can do with no-boil kits, so I'm looking forward to making some all grain brews (hopefully with lots of good advice from the forum members :D

You could always try partial mashes first. CraigTube on YouTube has some great ideas for extract brewers who want to step it up a notch with added specialty grains and/or hops.

Yeah,Craig shows how to do the steeping grain thing. I watched that after his videos made me decide to try brewing again. Just do beer this time. That was an interesting video,& I've since got a floating thermometer (ghetto,IK),& an ale pale is on the way for my wife to brew her 1st-the BB summer ale kit with 8oz of carapils for steeping. I def do not like the BB instructions. You have to jump all over the page to follow what it says to do. Then find where it says how long to do it.
I'm an English major all the way through college with A's. I could write instructions clearer than that. Never make the reader jump around the page(s) like stereo instructions. This is,after all,a step by step process. Now I know why people think it's so intimidating. But,I'll help her figure it out. Who knows,she may be better at it...:mug:

I can't see how the OS draught turns out like a lager with ale yeast? MGD? IDK...

I have to agree. Plus the fact MGD is Miller's premium all malt beer so it's not an adjunct lager. I do find that MGD finishes with a tad of candy sweetness. I could see where that may be common to a Coopers Draught.

I did find one guy on youtube that had the OS draught kit come out the same color as MGD. Don't know about the taste though. I'm going to tweak it when my stuff from Midwest gets here. Double brew day with the wife!!:rockin:

I just did the coopers Draught and it's ok.....Nothing great, nothing bad, just ok. Will brew another batch in the future using a different yeast, and give it to non-homebrewing people when they come over..LOL

I have a Cooper's Draught in the fermenter (7 days now). It's my first 5 gal brew so I didn't want to do anything but follow the directions this time out. This will give me a frame of reference so if I want to add hops, more extract or grains I will know where I am starting from.

Ok,here's a little update. My ale started bubbling intermittently at 8:06am from re-hydrated cooper's ale yeast in a 23L wort (6.072G). Color is lighter than I thought,but not unexpected. All the ingredients for both brews were very fresh. I guess our LHBS was getting set for NHB day. The last coopers OS lager can was '09,so I guess LME's really do darken with age. That one was used with Munton's plain extra light DME & two hops,1 dry hopped. Good,but not great. 5 weeks in,dry hop just about gone.
Now,flash forward about 2.5 months,The ale bubbling now used ingredients 1 or 2 notches darker. I thought this might compensate for the ingredients being way fresher. I used the OS draught can/yeast,being a bit darker & bit more flavor than the OS lager. Still used Munton's DME,but this time,plain light rather than plain extra light. I changed the hop schedule as well. Added all 3lbs of DME to the boil,got a little hot break,1oz US Perle at 20mins. .5oz of Saaz at 10mins. .5oz Saaz at flame out for 10mins. Then stirred in cooper's draught can. It's looking to be a nice golden color so far...

From what I have read, the freshness of liquid extracts can really effect the taste of the beer. People say to never buy an old can. Hopefully, this one comes out good for you!

It was interesting how the old cooper's can did darken the color like a Salvator doppel bock,which was great,it didn't throw any bad flavors. I assume that's because the can was well sealed. And the plain extra light DME was fresher. Guess I'll have to use plain amber DME next time. Maybe by fall I can get start reproducing the beers I liked. Which is pretty much all of them after tweaking to my satisfaction.
I can't wait till these two brews are done. Up next,tentative,are a dead guy clone,& my whiskely ale I researched a few months ago.

Great Video Grasshopper,haha,didn't realize you were the revolutionary brewer. I have watched most your vids. I live in NB, so yeah your right way cheaper to brew our own beer, even if you add specialty grains, and DMEs. I think the most expensive beer I've made so far(I have brewed 6), has cost $0.88 per bottle.

Just purchased this Coopers Draught today.Am thinking of adding 500g of crystal 60, and maybe 250g of Abbey malt, and 750g of light DME and 250g of dextrose, and 1 oz. of Saaz hops for 20min boil.

Latest posts

Back