Film?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfrayer

Reaction score
I was racking from fermenter to Secondary, and noticed a film on the top. There was also a real yeasty smell. The OG was 1.053, which was right on, and its at 1.012 which is about where Its supposed to be. My question is, could an infection cause the film and weird smell, or could it be from pitching to much yeast? And if so will it clear in the secondary? Beer is very cloudy.

It's hard to pitch too much yeast. What kind of yeast is it? How long has it been in primary? It's beer from the primary, it's gonna smell yeasty. Some yeasts smell a lot more than others, and it'll probably clear up with a couple of weeks in secondary. RDWHAHB!

It looked like an oil slick on the top of the beer. I'm doing a half batch, testing a recipe, and I used cooper's ale yeast, one pack, 7grams. I also noticed some hops that made it through the strainer around the side of the fermenter could have some effect

Nothing you've described sounds out of the ordinary. Infections are actually pretty uncommon, and fermentation produces a lot of funky stuff.

Don't worry. Proceed as normal.

What was the recipe. The "slick" you describe can be from an ingredient used such as chocolate.

Infections happen but like brloomis states they are uncommon.

RDWHAHB and see the magic live!

- WW

Back