Starter Foaming Over RIGHT NOW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
...I dunno what to do here. I kinda wanna just leave it alone and let it foam but I'm worried about an infection...

It's in a 2 quart jar with foil over the top on a stir plate.

It's nothing really out of control, just running down the sides of the jar a little.

Whatta u think?

Next time make it in a bigger container.

My suggestion for right now, wipe up the excess yeast on the sides of the jar with a clean paper towel, spray the whole thing down with star san and put it in the fridge. Hopefully it will put the yeast to sleep. I dont think you have to worry about an infection unless you sneeze on it or something.

Yeah, I did fill this one a little full... Didn't expect so much krausen tho.

It's about died down, and I have it sitting on a paper towel still stirring right now. I can see the foil pooching up with all the activity.

..and I was worried my yeast were dead, haha

I had the same foaming problem in my 5 gallon carboy, I researched it and found a solution. I went to a hardware store bought a hose 1" to fit really tightly into the carboy. Then took a pot filled it up about half a gallon of water threw a little bit of sanitizer and submerged the other end of the hose. kept it like that for a day. after it stopped foaming I put a normal stopper on it. But it looks like it only volcanos if the container is not big enough

Okay, I wiped it down, and recapped it with a new piece of foil and in the fridge she went.

Hopefully everything turns out alright.
I might step up another starter just to be on the safe side.

...and next time I won't go more than 1.5 quarts in a jar.

Back