Pasturized cider with a wort chiller......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfstar

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just started 10 gallons of Edwort's Apfelwine. My wife likes a sweeter carbonated cider. So we were planning on pasturizing, kegging , and back sweetening this batch with frozen concentrated AJ.

Has anyone tried pasturizing by running their cider through a wort chiller that is immersed in hot water (hot enough to pasturize, 180*?) into the keg? Seems like it would work, or would the cider not spend enough time at temp to fully pasturize?

Input is always welcome! Thanks for reading...

Hey all,

Just started 10 gallons of Edwort's Apfelwine. My wife likes a sweeter carbonated cider. So we were planning on pasturizing, kegging , and back sweetening this batch with frozen concentrated AJ.

Has anyone tried pasturizing by running their cider through a wort chiller that is immersed in hot water (hot enough to pasturize, 180*?) into the keg? Seems like it would work, or would the cider not spend enough time at temp to fully pasturize?

Input is always welcome! Thanks for reading...

I haven't researched the how long/ what temperature for pasteurizing, but I was wondering if you're kegging why not just cold crash the keg and keep it cold? That would stop fermentation, and you could carb as desired. That's what I do with hard lemonade for my daughter.

I haven't researched the how long/ what temperature for pasteurizing, but I was wondering if you're kegging why not just cold crash the keg and keep it cold? That would stop fermentation, and you could carb as desired. That's what I do with hard lemonade for my daughter.

We were not sure that by back sweetening with more aj we could get continued, albeit slow, fermentation even under refrigeration. We do everything we can to avoid chemicals, so we were looking at an alternative to Potasium Sorbate and the like....

Back