Belgium style Wheat Beer attempt.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinnn

Reaction score
I am going to try a Wheat beer, after having a nice wheat at a bar last night. here is the recipe I concocted: I have been doing infusion mashes on my American ales, would anyone suggest that I try a Step Mash for this? Let me know your thoughts.

(batch size ~ 2.5)

Grain:

4lbs Wheat Malt
.5lbs Belgium Munich Malt
2oz. Flaked Wheat
2oz. Rice Hulls
4oz. Flaked Rice
4oz. Cara-Pils

Hops:

.5 Czech Saaz (60min)
.25 Hallertauer (30min)
.25 Hallertauer (10min)

Flavorings:

1/2 tsp Coriander seed(crushed) (1min)
1/2 tsp Bitter Orange Peels (5min)

Yeast:

Wheinstephen Wyeast #3068

Open To ALL opinions:

-Justin:mug:

I'm not sure specifically about Belgian wheats, but more wheat beers that I've seen are usuallysplit around 50/50 between wheat and barley. I'm pretty sure that you can do a beer that's essentially 100% wheat (or about 90% in your case), but it's much less common. Neither here nor there, just an observation.

What would you think about adding a few oz. of flaked barley into the mix?

I agree with Bird, I'd change it to something like 2.5-3 lbs wheat + 2.5-3 lbs of pilsner malt. The few oz of flaked barley would be fine, too.

Sounds good. I don't know about a 50-50 maybe ill do like a 60-40. I want it very Wheaty :p.

In the Wit I just did, I wasn't too happy with the bitter orange peel and wish I had used fresh citrus zest which is what Jamil recomended. You may want to listen to his show on it, it's fairly helpful.

Most common is 65/35 wheat to barley. I would use 10z bitter orange and 1oz corriander. I used only 1/2 oz corriander and didnt get quite as much flavor as I would of liked. Just a suggestion.

I am brewing this up tomorow, using the zest from 3 oranges and 1 oz corriander at the end of the boil. Pitching bottle harvested hoegaarden starter. I know pilsen malts and noble hops would be more true to style....but I brew with what I have on hand.

5.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.01 %
4.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.46 %
0.70 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.98 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.27 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.27 %
0.70 oz Magnum [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.4 IBU

I make my Belgian Wits using raw wheat and doing a cereal mash. 50/50 raw wheat and pils. It tastes awesome, and has done well in competitions.

I am brewing this up tomorow, using the zest from 3 oranges and 1 oz corriander at the end of the boil.

you do know thats alot of corriander, I find 5grams to be about the limit for a true to style Wit.

I have yet to sample one thats over powering with orange/corriander or whatever spice short of some americanized version.

ugh...

Its about finding a balance, not in your face kinda beer

On my most recent wit I did 5lbs belgian pils, 4lbs flaked wheat, 1lb flaked oats, 1lb 6row, and 3oz of acid malt. Then I did .75oz of indian cilantro, and 1oz of citrus zest split between 1 whole orange, 1 lemon, and like 1/3rd of a grapefruit. I used WLP400 and I am waiting for it to finish fermenting.

you do know thats alot of corriander, I find 5grams to be about the limit for a true to style Wit.

I have yet to sample one thats over powering with orange/corriander or whatever spice short of some americanized version.

ugh...

Its about finding a balance, not in your face kinda beer

You were correct...after seeing how much an ounce is, i went with .30 oz. I also ground just a touch of cumin...

Back