Beer smells funny. Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhutch31

Reaction score
Hi HBT peeps,

I recently finished fermenting a batch of scotch ale I designed in beersmith. This is the 4th batch of beer I have finished fermenting in the last month. As I was relieving the pressure from my fermentation vessel, I quickly noticed that the smell was not so pleasant. Kind of reminded me of sour milk. I went ahead and transferred to my secondary vessel for aging and watched the wort pass through the clear hosing looking for discoloration or anything that would look like growing bacteria. The beer was clear and amber like it should look. I harvested my yeast and studied it and it looks normal. However, the yeast did smell like sour milk. All my other batches gave off a fresh beer and hops smell. Could this be because of the grain bill I used? Here is the recipe for a 10 gal batch:

18 lbs 2 row
2 lbs crystal
8 oz carapils
4 oz roasted barley
1 oz smoked malt
2 oz east Kent goldings
WLP001 California Ale yeast.

It smelled different when I brewed it too, but the sour milk smell has me leary. I hope it doesn't taste like that.

John

jhutch31 said:
Hi HBT peeps,

I recently finished fermenting a batch of scotch ale I designed in beersmith. This is the 4th batch of beer I have finished fermenting in the last month. As I was relieving the pressure from my fermentation vessel, I quickly noticed that the smell was not so pleasant. Kind of reminded me of sour milk. I went ahead and transferred to my secondary vessel for aging and watched the wort pass through the clear hosing looking for discoloration or anything that would look like growing bacteria. The beer was clear and amber like it should look. I harvested my yeast and studied it and it looks normal. However, the yeast did smell like sour milk. All my other batches gave off a fresh beer and hops smell. Could this be because of the grain bill I used? Here is the recipe for a 10 gal batch:

18 lbs 2 row
2 lbs crystal
8 oz carapils
4 oz roasted barley
1 oz smoked malt
2 oz east Kent goldings
WLP001 California Ale yeast.

It smelled different when I brewed it too, but the sour milk smell has me leary. I hope it doesn't taste like that.

John

After doing some research on the forum, it appears that having beer smell like sour milk is normal. I tasted the sample for my final gravity reading and it was terrible, but that is par for all my other beers as well. They were bland. This one tastes kind of like watered down soy sauce. Very smoky. So...I'll wait it out.

After doing some research on the forum, it appears that having beer smell like sour milk is normal. I tasted the sample for my final gravity reading and it was terrible, but that is par for all my other beers as well. They were bland. This one tastes kind of like watered down soy sauce. Very smoky. So...I'll wait it out.

Maybe I've not smelled enough green beers, but I'd disagree that it's normal for a beer to smell like sour milk. Also, it seems like something must be wrong if par for the course is "terrible."

I bet your beer is probably fine, you're probably just not used to beer being so young. Yeast can smell kinda nasty and can affect your sampling tastes as well.

Back