Grain crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4295

Reaction score
Anyone have any photos of what properly crushed barley looks like? My new Barley Crusher, at the factory specs, seems to really be pulverizing it. I will post a photo later and maybe someone can tell me if it looks right. Thanks!

Can you really crush too fine? Or is it a myth?

By the time I've mashed, there doesn't seem to be anything but liquid and hulls. No sludgy flour to stick a sparge. I've tried a tablespoon of waste grains after sparging, nothing but hulls.

Isn't mashing supposed to dissolve everything? Doesn't it?

Thanks Lorena! Wow, I guess I was wrong. That looks even more finely milled than mine. What do you think, go with the factory setting?

DSC02431.jpg

I thought the crush was too fine the first time I used mine too. In fact, I ended backing it off a bit (don't remember what the setting was on my feeler gauge, it might have been only .002) until I had a crush that didn't look pulverized and the husks looked intact. Efficiency has been around 75%-80% after backing out the gap; no stuck mash or slow sparge. After several batches, I might put it back at the factory settings just to see what I get. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it. Give it a trial run and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies guys (and gal). I'm going to go with the factory setting to establish a base line and then adjust from there, if necessary.

my gap is set just a tad bigger than a credit card, but smaller than the thickness of a CD

sorry for being so technical, but I cant seem to find my feeler gauges to give an exact width

Back