Adding Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypanties

Reaction score
I brewed a Brewer's Best German Altbier kit last weekend, and this was my first homebrew. The directions for adding hops said to just open up the pouch and dump it directly into the wort. I did this a bit different, by placing the hops in a muslin bag and removing the muslin bag when I poured the wort into the fermentor. I wasn't sure if they would dissolve, or if I would have had to strain it or something. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake.

Does this sound OK to you guys, or would you have just added the hops straight into the wort?

:ban: HappyPanties

You did good:) hops will go in at different times while boiling your wort. Most homebrewer's use a hop bag to keep the hop junk out of the boiling wort which keeps it out of the fermenter!!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

No I did it according to the instructions, bittering hops for 35 min then flavoring for 20 min. Both in separate muslin bags. Pulled both bags out before adding the wort to the fermentation bucket.

You should have a good beer then. But next time if you use pellets you dont need to waste the bags

Back