Suggestions for a good beginner stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
My local brew shop doesn't really carry brew kits, but they do have a decent selection of everything individually.

My first batch will soon be in bottles and I wanted to start a second batch as soon as it is. I'm mainly a stout/dark ale drinker during the winter, sometimes a good porter.

What would you suggest as good stout for a beginner? Could you also provide the link?

Thanks!

I used Palmer's recipe for my first batch (7.5Lb pale ale malt, 1Lb crystal 60L, .5Lb roasted barley, .5 Lb flaked barley, .5Lb chocolate malt) and am very happy with it. It's slightly sweet and very malty. Slainte!

any extract stout recipe that does NOT use amber or dark DME/LME. Ones that use just steeping grains and regular light DME/LME will be much or reproducible and consistent and also starts to give you an idea of which specialty grains will do what in terms of color and flavor of your beer.

Back