American IPA The Standard™ IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
The Standard IPA

A ProMash Recipe Report

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.00
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.65
Anticipated SRM: 5.2
Anticipated IBU: 66.6
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
92.9 13.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
3.6 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
3.6 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Columbus Whole 15.00 57.1 60 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 5.8 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 3.6 5 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Whole 5.75 0.0 0 min.

Simple, and good! Mix it up with your favorite American hops. I think the 1056 yeast will work nicely, but I do kinda like the British strains, for a little more complexity.

I love IPA's. Right now I'm drinking an IPA I made from an extract kit from kennywoodbrew.com and it is GRRRREAT! This has been the batch I make between other batches because I have to have some on hand at all times, everyone likes it. I'm going all grain soon but more than likely I will keep making this.

Snakebone said:
I love IPA's. Right now I'm drinking an IPA I made from an extract kit from kennywoodbrew.com and it is GRRRREAT! This has been the batch I make between other batches because I have to have some on hand at all times, everyone likes it. I'm going all grain soon but more than likely I will keep making this.

I brewed the Belgian Saison from Kennybrewwood and it had a funky taste - not saying it wasn't something I caused. It grew on me and I have one more cherished bottle left.

Just have a question: Anyway to convert that for extract brewers? I'm not setup for AG, nor do I really have the funds, so until I remedy that situation I'm stuck with extracts....

Chillbrook said:
Just have a question: Anyway to convert that for extract brewers? I'm not setup for AG, nor do I really have the funds, so until I remedy that situation I'm stuck with extracts....

Replace the base grains (the two-row) with LME and/or DME to achieve similar gravity.

A good rule of thumb is that one pound of mashed base grain yields about the same gravity as .7 lbs LME or about .575 lbs DME.

So substitute approx 9 lbs LME or 7.5 lbs DME, steep the specialty grains, and you're good to go.

cweston said:
Replace the base grains (the two-row) with LME and/or DME to achieve similar gravity.

A good rule of thumb is that one pound of mashed base grain yields about the same gravity as .7 lbs LME or about .575 lbs DME.

So substitute approx 9 lbs LME or 7.5 lbs DME, steep the specialty grains, and you're good to go.

Just ran it through Beersmith and your estimates were spot on.... this is going to cost far too much, however. Damn!

This is the site I used for prices....hopefully I can find something cheaper than 14.99 a kg.

Chillbrook said:
Just ran it through Beersmith and your estimates were spot on.... this is going to cost far too much, however. Damn!

This is the site I used for prices....hopefully I can find something cheaper than 14.99 a kg.
Don't forget about shipping. I used to order my wheat DME from them back when I did extract brewing. $14.99/KG plus ~$9.00 for shipping. Ouch.

Not sure how much you like to drive but up in Hamilton there is a great LHBS called Brew Time. I live up in Guelph and routinely drive down there. The young guy who runs the brewery is very helpful and knowledgeable.

There is another place in Welland that does online ordering http://www.5gallons.com/ . I haven't ordered from them personally but it's only $12.60/KG on their website.

What do the big places like AHBS, Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, etc charge to ship to Canada? Is it prohibitive?

bradsul said:
Don't forget about shipping. I used to order my wheat DME from them back when I did extract brewing. $14.99/KG plus ~$9.00 for shipping. Ouch.

Not sure how much you like to drive but up in Hamilton there is a great LHBS called Brew Time. I live up in Guelph and routinely drive down there. The young guy who runs the brewery is very helpful and knowledgeable.

There is another place in Welland that does online ordering http://www.5gallons.com/ . I haven't ordered from them personally but it's only $12.60/KG on their website.

I'm in Pelham, actually; only a 45 minute drive to Hamilton, relatively fast and easy for me. And I did check out that 5gallon site... I too noticed the "Welland, Ontario" on the bottom of the page (Welland is a 5 minute drive for me) but when I asked for an address they said they were located in Montreal, QC... I don't get it! :drunk:

What are the prices like at Brew Time, what supplies do they have? Their website is lacking in that dept., heh.

cweston said:
What do the big places like AHBS, Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, etc charge to ship to Canada? Is it prohibitive?

Well I know we can't ship into the States (extracts, grains..) but I completely forgot to check out those sites. I'll do that right now!

cweston said:
I've only ordered an aerator kit from AHBS. But it was very cost-prohibitive once you factor in the UPS brokerage fees which are horrendous. For the 31USD aerator UPS charged me 23CDN in brokerage (on top of the shipping rate, ~9USD if I remember correctly).

chillbrook said:
What are the prices like at Brew Time, what supplies do they have? Their website is lacking in that dept., heh.
Ya their website is a little lacking. :) They have an excellent supply of grains and extracts. Lots of hops and they carry a pretty decent selection of WhiteLabs liquid yeast. The prices for grains and extract are very competitive.

I don't remember the specific prices for extract but I do remember it was cheaper than my LHBS which charges $13.50/KG. The selection and knowledgeable/friendly staff makes the trip well worth it. They have lots of gadgets too (I can't resist toys :D ). I sound like I work there, but I swear I don't. ;)

Brewing this in a couple weeks! Had to adjust the grains to accomodate my 78% eff... but I cannot wait to brew it. I HATE the cost of hops though... $15? OUCH!

EDIT... also used 40L in place of the 20L... to get the color in style with an American IPA.

I'm kegging this one tonight. I was at my LHBS one day when the White Labs rep was there and got a free vial of their Australian Ale Yeast. Calling this one the Irwin Pale Ale!

Edit: Excellent beer. Only change my first time brewing was the Australian Ale yeast. Brewing again with a few more personal preference tweaks and ingredient availability (no columbus), but excellent recipe as is and a great starting point for IPA customization.

I made this a while back to the orig recipe--really good deff a keeper. I know this si an old post but sometimes there are real gems out there if ya look

I just made this one but added a 1/4 lb of Munich to the mix. Turned out great! Couldn't have asked for better results for my first solo brewed batch! Already have ideas for the next batch, cant wait!

Goin to the store today for batch #2 . I may add .5 Honey Malt this time or go with 2pintslow and add .25 Munich. I do love me some Honey Malt though. I will decide when I get there this afternoon.
Real good to the orig recipe but may tweek it this time.

mash @ 153 for 60mins ---orig recipe d/n have mash temp--so I winged it and it came out fine

Back