First ROOTBEER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGAL2

Reaction score
Heading to the inlaws. The wife wants me to make some rootbeer to take along with my homebrew. I picked up an Old Fashioned Homebrew RootBeer soda pop base. Note that I'll be kegging it. It says mix with 8 cups sugar with 4 g. water and the whole 2oz. rootbeer base. Is this a good mix or does it need modified some?

I just kegged one using 50/50 root beer mix/ birch beer mix. Awesome. A touch on the sweet side.

I also mixed it in the keg and taste tested it before force carbing.

I am thinking about makign a batch of rootbeer this summer and kegging it. Quick question for those of you who keg... once you keg is it true that you cannot use it for beer after you use it for rootbeer? Something to do with the high amount of sugars that leech into the beer lines and keg itself?

I would love to make a Sprecher Rootbeer but not at the expense of ruining a keg and tapper.

I believe it's the flavor that causes the problem, at least that is what I have been told. Once rootbeer gets into a keg, or anything else, it's darn near impossible to get every last bit of that flavor and smell out!

False! Think about what was in those kegs before you had them...got it now....SODA! Often times root beer. It's the rubber you'll need to change. Sure, you'll need to clean out the kegs, but you should be doing that anyway.

Beverage line, well there's a different item all together.

Back